High Altitude flights: Pleasures and Perils

ctbon

I love taking my MK waaaay up. It's probably not much higher than 200M though but it feels pretty high. I get nervous about losing connection with the Tx or something else unforeseen happening when it's so high up.

What heights do you guys go up to? What makes you uncomfortable? What is your outer limit and what is the limit of your Tx?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I love taking my MK waaaay up. It's probably not much higher than 200M though but it feels pretty high. I get nervous about losing connection with the Tx or something else unforeseen happening when it's so high up.

What heights do you guys go up to? What makes you uncomfortable? What is your outer limit and what is the limit of your Tx?

I've had the Droidworx AD6/MK up to 320 meters according to the flight log and it looked really small at that altitude, little more than a small black dot with some red lights underneath. At the time I had a GoPro attached and somewhere on one of my systems I have that video, I'll have to dig it out. I recall at max altitude I pointed the camera straight down and when I watched the video everything on the ground looked pretty small.

Every time I've gone above 100 meters I just go straight up, maybe do a 360 degree pan or two, then come straight down again, always done in GPS position hold. For normal flight I rarely go more than 10 or 20 feet above the tree tops, just too hard to tell which way its pointing by eyeball once it gets up and away from where I'm standing. With the FPV goggles I'll go higher, but still not as high as the vertical climbs, I generally like to stay well above the tree tops so I don't wind up with a multi parked in the top branches of a 20 meter tree because it was out of the goggles field of vision.

As far as the radio goes, straight line vertically it's probably good for much higher than you would be able to see the multi. A 2.4 TX should be good for at least a 1/2 mile with a clear line of sight, wouldn't be much more than a very tiny dot in the sky at that altitude.

Ken

llbr22

this is the highest I've gone. Not sure I if I have the nerves to go higher as I really could barely see it up there to know what orientation it was in.

Last edited by a moderator: