Hoverfly HFP firm for larger multirotors

elossam

Im having some troubles setting the right gains on a skyjib octo with axi 4120/20 graupner 14x8 and CC phoenix 50. Seems like some users ha succesfully do it with some differences: turnigy plush instead CC (with multicopter firm), 15x6 Soar vs 14x8 graupner and hexa configuration instead of octo. Beyond that the only diff is the guy Im comparing with uses an old 3x firm on his HFP.
Could HF team (or any other if knows that) if the changes between 3x and 4x firm could be aimed to get better perfomances on mid/small multis at a cost of a perfomance reduction in really big ones with larger airscrews on slow engines?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I dont know the answer to the firmware differences but i think the conversation of prop pitch has been thoroughly addressed. When you get into pitches around 8 and above you just have too much bite for things to react smoothly. I dont know if it is a cavitation issue or what but if you think about how a multi flies, the coarser the pitch the more precise the throttle control has to be. All I can say is that there is a reason many dont use those large pitch props. I am also surprised you are having issue as that is one thing HF is known for working well on. Maybe keep playing with it. I am on a relatively large X8 and my gains are low (around 45) where Ben Rowland's CS8 is above 100. I hope you figure it out as the HFP has been the best controller I have EVER flown.

Photronix

Pilot
Yes Iris is right...probably too much pitch. Try a bit less. We fly Skyjib8s all the time with no trouble.

jcmonty

The thing with higher pitches is that you are stalling the air on the blade more than lower pitched props. So you get even more flow seperation and less efficiency. Most multirotor flying (besides coaxial setups) like lower pitches since we are flying mostly static conditions.

elossam

Way better using 14x4,7 vs 14x8. At least capable to increase gain 20% more, a good signal. Its time to test other airscrew values. Thanks.