Hoverfly HF vs Xaircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have both.

The Hoverfly Pro is still a tad smoother in manual flight , but with proper tuning the SuperX is very close.

But that being said, the HFP can;t even stand in the same room as teh SuperX when it comes to atti mode adn GPS.
Atti will hold the craft within 1 - 3 cm of where you put it, and the GPS hold can be as good as 5cm.
And even in GPS mode the rig remains completely flyable in a smooth manner, just when you stop it’s in GPS hold.

Right now, personally I’m in love with teh SiperX.

Emowillcox

Thanks to SleepyC I got one of the SuperX and I have been real happy with mine. I have 4 Hoverfly machines and I love all of them. They were pretty easy to set up and work good on my XY 8 machines. I am running the SuperX on a quad and really was surprised at how easy it was to set up. I got my from Drew and was real happy with his fast responses when I had questions. The only thing I don't like about the Super X is I have to run a separate battery to use my camera gimbal.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The only thing I don't like about the Super X is I have to run a separate battery to use my camera gimbal.

You should always do this when using a servo based gimbal. If a servo goes bad and gets stuck, the spike in power could bring your machine down, where as if you had a sep battery, all you have is a dead servo. Same I guess could apply to a brushless gimbal as well!

I've been following the SX thread and I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the excessive height of the SX control module and the overall weight of the set. I fly mostly smaller custom built GoPro fold up quads and I've steered clear of this controller for that reason. On larger machines it's background noise but you're counting every gram on the smaller multi's.

Aerovideo

Haha, I came to multirotorforums today and couldn't find the Hoverfly thread initially as the Xaircraft thread was now above it. I thought maybe Hoverfly finally pulled the plug. But here it is...

I have both but have yet to actually have time to setup my SuperX yet. I plan to test it out on my big folding x525 quad with my 3 axis brushless gimbal which currently has a HFPro. This is one of my oldest setups so It will be a good comparison as I know how it flies.

Paul, the SuperX is a little heavy probably due to the aluminum case but it sure is a nice case and no bare boards, something to be said for that :) Plus it looks COOL!

Aerovideo

I just completed the maiden flight on my new SuperX on my old tried and true x525 quad frame that's had a Hoverfly Pro + GPS on it since I built it.

While I haven't tried FPV yet, it seemed to fly well in manual mode. It's tough to compare auto level mode since I never used that although it didn't seem to fight me like the Hoverfly did. GPS and Altitude Hold mode are LIGHTS OUT! The thing didn't move up/down or any direction. WOW!!! On a good day with the Hoverfly on the same quad needed at least 10 feet if not more for GPS hold and 5 + feet for AH. Forget about using AH near the ground on the Hoverfly. This thing is crazy Amazing!

Setup was weird but not hard. The default gains seemed to work fine on this quad but then again same thing with the Hoverfly.

I just completed the maiden flight on my new SuperX on my old tried and true x525 quad frame that's had a Hoverfly Pro + GPS on it since I built it.

While I haven't tried FPV yet, it seemed to fly well in manual mode. It's tough to compare auto level mode since I never used that although it didn't seem to fight me like the Hoverfly did. GPS and Altitude Hold mode are LIGHTS OUT! The thing didn't move up/down or any direction. WOW!!! On a good day with the Hoverfly on the same quad needed at least 10 feet if not more for GPS hold and 5 + feet for AH. Forget about using AH near the ground on the Hoverfly. This thing is crazy Amazing!

Setup was weird but not hard. The default gains seemed to work fine on this quad but then again same thing with the Hoverfly.

You won't be going back. I honestly haven't had the HFP on a copter in 6 mos - accurate position hold is just to addicting :)

workshop

So are repeatable waypoints. Rehearsing an autonomous run over and over and bearing able to concentrate on gimbal work is pretty useful.

Aerovideo

You won't be going back. I honestly haven't had the HFP on a copter in 6 mos - accurate position hold is just to addicting :)

I think you are correct, I need more of these :)

So are repeatable waypoints. Rehearsing an autonomous run over and over and bearing able to concentrate on gimbal work is pretty useful.

While total computer controlled flight sounds a bit scary I could see where that would be tremendously helpful doing multiple takes to get the shot just right. Not to mention being able to do everything yourself instead of having a two person setup. The SuperX isn't there yet, nor am I but that does sound impressive.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I don’t think Waypoints are far off with teh SX. I know the unit has the hardware capabilities, just needs the right firmware update. I’m sure a ground station and a Fee will be required, but that’s cool, I don;t mind paying for something when it works properly!

Aerovideo

I have seen the iPad ground station SuperX preview videos, that looks pretty impressive. Finally a cool use for my iPad :)

Krzysiek

I checked the prices SuperX and Naza V2. It seems Naza V2 is cheaper then SuperX. Guys,why did you consider to buy SX? Is it better?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hey Sleepy did u get your big monster flying yet? Curious how the super x is working on that frame?

I have 1 flight on the big Vulcan mantis frame. I was an idiot and maidened it in 25 mph winds.. HAHA

It flew pretty decently with no gain adjustments, but I did not have good yaw authority. I’m gonna play around when the wind calms down later this week.
The mantis arms did not seem to affect the SuperX at all. Although, they might be the reason for the lack of yaw.. but again i did not play with gains, so before I make any statements i need to adjust the gains some more. It’s a pretty intimidating rig... like a crazy lawn mower hovering in front of ya!

I checked the prices SuperX and Naza V2. It seems Naza V2 is cheaper then SuperX. Guys,why did you consider to buy SX? Is it better?

Ya get what you pay for.
The Naza works (mostly) but even at it’s best it’s very robotic. The SuperX is VERY smooth when properly tuned. I;d consider the SuperX a Pro controller and the Naza a high end hobby FC.

Aerovideo

I just did some fast flying FPV in my usual test field and I'm happy to say the SuperX felt every bit as smooth as my Hoverfly Pro on this same machine. Altitude hold and GPS hold were AMAZING. I almost messed myself when I hit return to home and it landed by itself better than I ever have and only about 18 inches away from where it took off from.

Hoverfly's next firmware release needs to be this good, period.

Excellent Paul! I was waiting for your take. Now that you've "blessed" it, I need to order one fast before they sell out :eek:nthego: How did it do, as far as wobble goes, on fast descent? Also how much wobble in a breeze on tight turns?

Status
Not open for further replies.