Hexacopter spinning while in flight

So I finally got my hexacopter up in the air, but now it spins mid flight(yaw)... I'm thinking maybe a weight problem. It is running on a Pixhawk.

Last edited by a moderator:

New thought... Could it be the wind? It seems to only be affected as I get higher in the air and the drone is always pushed downwind. If this is the case, would the 3DR airspeed sensor solve this problem?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
New thought... Could it be the wind? It seems to only be affected as I get higher in the air and the drone is always pushed downwind. If this is the case, would the 3DR airspeed sensor solve this problem?
Not wind. I don't have a lot of experience with the Pixhawk, but that is not the way a controller should fly. Are you sure you have the motors in the right configuration? To me it seems like your motors are off. Meaning that #1 on a A2 on a Y Hex is the front right arm. Where is your number 1 motor?

The Pixhawk is weird where the #1 motor is the "3 o'clock" position.

make sure that motor is plugged into motor port 1 and so on.
See below.View attachment 25366

Attachments

• hex-x.png
    hex-x.png
    334.2 KB · Views: 433

Yeah, that was my problem before but all of the motors are in the correct positions now... It sometimes flies fine but sometimes it spins...

dazzab

Every time I've experienced this the issue has been that the motors were not level. You'd think the flight controller would compensate but not in my case. Another time that I had this issue I found that there were some rudder offsets in my parameters that I know I didn't put there. There was some speculation that when I loaded the wrong model in my Tx that it confused the ground station software, in this case Mission Planner, but that was never confirmed. If I were you I'd very carefully check the motor alignment and recalibrate the compass. If that didn't work I'd reset the parameters to the defaults and try again.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Yeah, the motors mounts are pretty difficult to make completely even. Thank you for solving my problem.

Use a metal yard stick and lay it across (sharp edge down) 2 motor mounts at a time. Should give you a nice flat platform.