Help with my new toy - lights and legs?

Hi folks, Geoffs wind died down and he was able to test and ship my 550, and it arrived today!! :) I have a couple of questions i was hoping I could get some help with.

1) I ordered a set of LEDs when I ordered the hex, they are by GT Power RC, and I basically wanted to know how to rig them up. I bought a Turnigy switch with the plan of being able to flick them on/off from the radio. Can I simply connect the switch to the "gear" output of the receiver, and will that just work or does it need programming? Also the lights have an input of 4-6V, but I am running an 11v lipo, should i use a separate battery for the lights or can I get a step down unit?

2) I bought a set of landing legs from quadframes.com but because of the type of baseplate the 550 uses I cant fix it directly to the base. Is it simply a case of using small fixings and washers through the existing slots in the 550 baseplate?

Sorry is these are daft questions but being a newbie I am sure there will be more :)

Thanks

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
Phatfreddy,

I am not sure if I know what a "Geoffs wind" is, but i guess it having one foot in the grave is a good thing? Seriously, I checked out GT Power RC (in the future please include the URL other wise we are guessing) to see what you have. A fully charged 3s lipo should have a voltage around 12.6. This will fry the LEDS in about a nano second. The Turnigy switch (URL?) depending on which on you get will either be an off/on switch or allow you to control multiple LEDs. I have a similar problem with my quad. I initially purchased LED strips that are 12V, and then later on bought single LEDs that were rated for 9V.

In order to accommodate the 9V LEDs I purchased a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) rated for 9V (http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-9v-2-5a-ubec.html). Since the LEDs draw such little current, I went with a unit that puts out only 2.5 amps. I am using a Turnigy LED controller (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12615). I wired the BEC directly to the power pads on the bottom plate, so it is on when the battery is turned on, and all LEDs are powered by the BEC (including the 12V ones I have previously hard wired to the power source).

Do Notuse the gear switch to control the LEDs, unless you are sure it is not controlling another function. If you have not done so your should read the Naza manual. You did not state if you had GPS or not, and what radio you are using. Assuming you have a 7 channel TX, and guessing how the 550 is set up - If you don't have GPS, more likely than not, the gear switch is being used to switch between manual and atti mode. If you do have GPS the gear switch is probably being used to control your IOC. If you have 8 channels or more, then a three position switch is probably controlling IOC. I am controlling my LEDs with the Aux2 switch, as I am limited by my TX as to the switches I have available.

No idea on the landing gear question.

Lee​

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 101

Hi Lee, thanks for the reply and your help. Sorry my post was so vague, new to this and the forum, I will remember to attach links etc in my future questions, I am sure there will be many. I figured out that the lights would need some form of step down unit. I have ordered a low draw BEC that will do the job, but in the meantime I actually pulled apart a 12V USB charger, the small board inside it converts from 12V to the 5V USB output, with a little soldering etc it works fine for now, although its draw maybe slightly higher. As far as switching the lights is concerned I think this is sussed now too. I didnt set the hex up, I bought it ready to go but with a little poking around I think I am ok. The 500 does have GPS, which is awesome by the way, with the FLAP/GYRO switch on my DX8 switching between Manual, Attitude and GPS, with the AUX2 switch controlling the IOC - off, course lock & home lock. Having checked the RX (AR8000) and seeing the the gear socket was unused, I plugged the Turnigy switch in and "hey presto" the gear switch turns the lights on and off beautifully. It was initially working the wrong way round but with a little more poking around on the radio I found how to invert this.

As far as the landing gear is concerned that is taken care of now, a few nylon nuts and bolts and an additional ally plate - perfect. Now got the GoPro properly mounted too so it is all going well, for now :)

View attachment 4982

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 176