Help with LiPo's!

Cerib

Hey guys,
Have just found this forum and have quite a few questions to ask about LiPo Batteries. I'm new to MRC's and really want to get into it, however, I find myself swamped with so many choices for LiPo Brands, Chargers, Ballancer's, etc. I have just ordered myself an, "Overlander Lipo Battery Balance Charger AC/DC RC-6S 80 watt," after reading reviews. Now I'm unsure where to begin, I've educated myself as much as I can about LiPo charging, storage, voltage difference between cells, but, I'd appreciate your two-cents on the whole thing!

I have myself two Power-Tech 2250mAh batteries for my IFLY4, which, of course was recommended by the supplier when purchasing, however, I've found myself stuck with a "Park Flite Ballance Charger", I found that over 18 hours of charge and still barely and juice in it to fly was a bit of a joke.

Any help, advice, comments or criticisms will help a great deal in getting me in the air and learning how to control the IFLY before moving onto something a little more, well, advanced.

Thanks again for your input and wisdom!

Cerib

Heh, little more criticism than I was expecting.. Yeah, the charger is all plugged in correctly, battery to the charger, but it doesn't seem to be putting any load on the battery at all. I keep checking up on it and it seems to be doing absolutely nothing. What I was curious about is what type of battery / charger combo would people recommend for a good flight session to get me into pilotting correctly. :) Sorry if it did seem a little convoluted.

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
THe right hand button needs to be pressed and held. You then get a confirm request and then press again and should start. Make sure you have chosen the correct lipo and voltage.

Electro 2

In addition to other chargers, I own 3 Park Flight balance chargers and they work well, there must be some other problem. Their biggest limitation is they max out at a 2 amp charge rate, not OK for big packs. No flashing lights when you connect the balance plug to the charger ?? If so, they are diagnosing a bad pack issue (grossly unblanced, any one cell under 3V, etc.) and won't start a charge cycle.

Cerib, I know exactly the feeling. When I got my first charger and batteries I thought, "no brainer," then realized how complex charging LiPos can be. What I found useful was searching on YouTube for a video on my charger. Bingo! There were two for my Hyperion and after watching them both a couple of times it all sunk in. Also sounds like Electro might be a good source of info since he has those chargers.

Dewster

Agreed. I watched videos on YouTube to find a charger that was easy to use and had the necessary features to charge lipos safely. I purchased the Dynamite Passport Ultra. It's simple to use and not intimidating for the newbie.

RobertsUp

I have the Hyperion EOS720i. I haven't used it as yet. I need to take the manual to work with me and study it all the rest of the week. I chose it because it plugs into the wall and doesn't need a separate power source. I'm still alarmed about the possibility of burning my house down. Having LiPo's around.

Last edited by a moderator:

andrewrob

We store our lipos in old ammo boxes from the army surplus store. Nice and secure and should contain a bit of fire should the worst happen.
Although be careful when closing the lid that you don't chop the cables if they're sticking out!

RobertsUp, I have the same charger and learned it by watching a couple of YouTube videos. I manual just wasn't clear to me and expected me to understand certain things that I did not. As for the fires, I started using LiPo bags for charging last week.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
a good check on batteries is to feel the temperature of the wires in the balancing leads. they should be equally cool to the touch, as should the packs but be careful when grabbing them to check as they may be hot. if they're hot, unplug the charger, try to unplug everything and let them cool down. keep an eye on them though because if they're too hot they may just keep getting hotter until they ignite.

a hot mitt (for working around a kiln or welding area) or a pair of bbq tongs/grabbers are good to have on hand to handle batteries that are overheating or on fire. the impulse will be to grab them with your bare hands and that doesn't end well. :livid:

Nocteel

Also remember that charging at lower amperage might take longer it's easier on the battery and makes it a lot less likely to over heat. I'm still using a relatively simple charger and charge even my big 4400 at only 3A.

ewr

It does seem complicated at first but if you pay attention and listen to the knowledgeable people here you will get the hang of it and be an "expert" soon enough. I also charge/store mine in .50 cal ammo cans...but I always drill a few 1/2" holes in the top of them first in case a battery does decide to self destruct so the ammo can does not act like a pressure vessel and create a "b word" situation...also wouldn't like to open a can if one decided to vent some nice highly combustible hydrogen gas into it, mix that with some static from a carpet etc. and that's a no go. Might sound paranoid but really can't be too safe with lithium tech.

Eggbeater

All good suggestions for sure. My suggestion is that you do not attempt to hook any lipo to a charger until you understand what you are doing. You are asking for a world of hurt. The first video I would search for is one that shows a burning lipo. That should get your attention. Then go for the charger-specific video as suggested. I charge my lipo's at "1C' (5800mah = 5.8) because it should make batts last longer. But it takes longer than 2C of course. I never drain batteries past about 65% (80% is the limit), I "store" charge at 60%, and I only full charge to 90%. Once you get familiar and think you know it all, be careful. The most common mistake I make is not selecting the right MAH rating for the particular battery. I have to remind myself to not be in such a hurry. Hope this helps. EGG.