Help with DX7s set-up.

Gator

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a DJI F550 with a Spectrum DX7s, 3 axis gimbal, Hero 3 Black set-up. Trying to figure out how to set-up the AX2 knob to be the control for the gimbal pitch.
As is right now I am using the (mix0-mix1) switch mapped to the gear function on the flight controller. It works but, it can only be set to 2 positions.

I would like to be able to adjust the pitch to any position from shooting level with the horizon to straight down.

Is this possible with the DX7s or do I need an upgrade.

Current mapping is:
Flap/Gyro=flight mode.
Ali D/R= fail safe
Rudder D/R= IOC off and IOC course lock
Elevator D/R= IOC course lock and IOC home lock.
Mix0/Mix1= gimbal pitch.

Thanks for the help.

Mike (Gator) Ruel.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a DJI F550 with a Spectrum DX7s, 3 axis gimbal, Hero 3 Black set-up. Trying to figure out how to set-up the AX2 knob to be the control for the gimbal pitch.
As is right now I am using the (mix0-mix1) switch mapped to the gear function on the flight controller. It works but, it can only be set to 2 positions.

I would like to be able to adjust the pitch to any position from shooting level with the horizon to straight down.

Is this possible with the DX7s or do I need an upgrade.

Current mapping is:
Flap/Gyro=flight mode.
Ali D/R= fail safe
Rudder D/R= IOC off and IOC course lock
Elevator D/R= IOC course lock and IOC home lock.
Mix0/Mix1= gimbal pitch.

Thanks for the help.

Mike (Gator) Ruel.

Hey Gator, good question. DX7s was my first controller ever, and the good news is that you can adjust this so the knob controls the gimbal pitch. All you need to do is to make sure that the receiver channel assigned to the Aux2 knob is connected to X1 on your Naza. Then open up your Naza assistant app, go to Basic/RC tab, hit X1 Calibration, and calibrate your knob. As long as the gimbal control is assigned to X1, it should work for you. You can then leave your IOC assigned to X2. If you;re looking to upgrade your controller, I would recommend looking at one with sliders on the side (my second controller was a Futaba 8FG, which is really nice 14 channel S-bus radio. Let me know if this helps.

Gator

Hello Petr,

Thank you for the quick reply. Looking further into it, it appears that IOC is using the Aux2 channel. Although I seldom if ever use IOC, I'm unsure of how to program the knob to do what I want. I don't want to bother you with a tutorial on how to program my controller.

Thank you so much for your time.

Gator.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Hello Petr,

Thank you for the quick reply. Looking further into it, it appears that IOC is using the Aux2 channel. Although I seldom if ever use IOC, I'm unsure of how to program the knob to do what I want. I don't want to bother you with a tutorial on how to program my controller.

Thank you so much for your time.

Gator.

I'm pretty sure you can assign the knob to any channel on your receiver, so if the Aux2 on your receiver is taken, choose some other one (Aux1, Aux3, etc.). You can look up the channel assignment procedure for your controller. Once the know is controlling one of your receiver channels, simple connect the X1 on your Naza to this channel, calibrate X1, and you should be good to go. Simpler than it sounds. I wish I could do a tutorial, but no longer have this controller:)

Gator

Hello again Petr,

I think I may be closer to figuring it out. I really appreciate your help. My gimbal is a stand alone RC timer 2 axis that I've modded to a 3 axis with a Storm 32 controller so it doesn't use the NAZA.

Once again, Thanks so much for your time.

Gator.

P.S. I did figure out how to assign the knob to the Aux2 channel. Probably should get a manual for the DX7s some day.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Hello again Petr,

I think I may be closer to figuring it out. I really appreciate your help. My gimbal is a stand alone RC timer 2 axis that I've modded to a 3 axis with a Storm 32 controller so it doesn't use the NAZA.

Once again, Thanks so much for your time.

Gator.

P.S. I did figure out how to assign the knob to the Aux2 channel. Probably should get a manual for the DX7s some day.
Oh, good to know your gimbal is standalone, a direct connection to your receiver should be fine then. Manuals are over-rated:)

Gator

I figured it out!!! As a bonus, if I flip the rudder D/R switch down, the gimbal will point straight down. How cool is that?

Thank you so much for all your help Petr. BTW, I really enjoy hearing you on the podcast.

Regards, Gator.

Gator

Update:

After getting everything dialed in I took the 550 to one of our races to get some aerial shots of the track. Once over the track I turned the knob on the transmitter to have the camera pointing straight down. While watching my monitor to frame the shot I lost video signal. Much to my horror when I looked up to see the 550, it was upside down and heading towards the ground.

I triggered the failsafe to no avail. It hit the ground hard. Broke 4 arms, 4 props, gimbal controller, NAZA lite controller, landing gear and killed my Go Pro Hero 3 black.

What I failed to notice when programming the knob for pitch control on the gimbal was that when the knob is turned all the way clockwise it cuts throttle and dials in full left aileron. It appears that the previous owner of the transmitter wired the rudder d/r switch with the knob. Not sure why but, once I rewired it back to factory original it appears to work as intended.

The 550 is rebuilt, got a new NAZA and Go Pro.

Testing has gone well. It flies as well as it did before the crash and the knob works correctly.

I guess the moral of the story is: Don't overlook the smallest of details.

Regards, Gator.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
@Gator , that sucks, sorry that happened to you. I messed up once in the past with my 550 and Spektrum DX18. I set up one of the side levers to control the camera tilt, but it was also controlling the remote gain adjustment, so when I tilted the camera down, the copter got really difficult to control. Luckily I wasn't close to anything, so I saved it. Hope your machine serves you well, I still have my 550, it was my first drone with a gimbal, and we have been through a lot:)