Help... quadcopter burning!

Okay, I did something terribly wrong. Just assembled a micro quad, and it never even got to fly. As soon as I connected power, all kinds of burning smells and the lipo got puffy.

Clearly, there's a short. Clearly, there is permanent damage. Now what? If I connect another lipo, it will surely explode, so where should I start in trying to ID the problem? I was thinking maybe try to calibrate each ESC manually direct to the RX?

I can't understand why it did this. I decided to try and leave the red wires intact on the linear BESC (Afro)... was that what caused it?

Also, the AFRO ESCs have yellow/red/brown wire instead of white/red/black. Was I correct in assuming brown=black?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
It would probably be helpful for you to take a few pictures and post them so we can see what all it is that we're talking about.

CdA D

Okay, I did something terribly wrong. Just assembled a micro quad, and it never even got to fly. As soon as I connected power, all kinds of burning smells and the lipo got puffy.

Clearly, there's a short. Clearly, there is permanent damage. Now what? If I connect another lipo, it will surely explode, so where should I start in trying to ID the problem? I was thinking maybe try to calibrate each ESC manually direct to the RX?

I can't understand why it did this. I decided to try and leave the red wires intact on the linear BESC (Afro)... was that what caused it?

Also, the AFRO ESCs have yellow/red/brown wire instead of white/red/black. Was I correct in assuming brown=black?

Yellow is signal, Red is power and Brown is ground. Could be a short, but as Barman said a few pics would be helpful.

Thanks for the replies... it was nothing more complicated than bad wiring. Somehow I managed to feed the main power in reverse. All it cost me was a Hobbyking Control board, and I had a spare. Even the lipo seems to still be good for now.