Help me choose! 3dR X8, Spyder X8, Spyder Hexa, Turboace Matrix or SteadiDrone QU4D?

thi_sanna

Hi everyone,

I have recently approved a small research grant for acquiring a low-cost, easily operated multirotor with a standard RGB camera, to see how far we can push it for environmental mapping and monitoring.

My overall budget is ~USD2200 for the full multirotor system minus the camera. I am planning on using a Canon S110 with CHDK, directly mounted, no gimball. I also need to import it to Brazil using the sarcastically named "Easy Scientific Import" (Importa Fácil Ciência) government system, which will exempt me from the compound 55% import taxes + 25% state sales taxes. I have an import agent who is also an experienced RC flyer, who is willing to help me importing, as long as I buy from the US, where he has an office.

It also has to be RTF or an easily assembled kit. I do realize that custom building my own would offer the best cost/benefit, but importing separate parts from separate vendors would be a nightmare, and I have no previous build experience. Plus, the grant is for one year only, so we need to be able to produce results soon. We need something with affordable autonomous missions (Pixhawk), the best possible flight times, and reliability and stability in moderate wind (our primary sites are mountain grasslands and Amazon wetlands). With that in mind, I am currently considering:

1) 3DRobotics X8 - Seems to be sturdy and reliable, and definitely offers the best bang for the buck. For 2200 I get it RTF + Tx + OSD + spares kit + 4 spare batteries + 1 charger + batt bag. But from what I get it has really limited flight times in the default configuration, and I've been reading some bad stories about product quality and customer service. Sending it back/getting replace parts would also be a logistic nightmare, so it has to work out of the box.

2) Sky Hero Spyder X8 or Spyder 6 - The frames seem to be really good quality and sturdy, and the kits make it easy to order and assemble. A 700 Spyder X8 or the larger Spyder 6 Hexa would come out at a similar cost, and there are multiple dealers. Would also need to install and configure pixhawk myself. 2200 would probably get me Frame + Motor Kits + Tx + Pixhawk + 2 Batteries. Not sure which one would be more stable/have better flight times - X8 or Hexa.

3) SteadiDrone QU4D. Really nice RTF package with Pixhawk, comes with the praised Taranis Tx, has (supposedly) good flight times, and the foam packaging could be used to build a cheap hardcase for transport. But it's also a quad, so no redudancy. Could be made into an X8 with additional $680 (ouch). 2200 gets me the RTF package + spares kit + 2 batts.

4) TurboAce Matrix - Great design and (apparently) excellent flight times, but it is a quad (no redundancy), and the pricier of the bunch. For 2K I get the DIY kit + Walkera Devo 10 + 2 batts + 1 charger. I'd have to buy the Pixhawk separately, and try to make it all work, which is really not ideal.

My feeling right now is that the 3DR and Sky Hero X8's tie in first place, the choice being value vs. autonomy, with the QU4D in second and the Matrix last.

Well, that's the story. Any tips, suggestions, critiques, etc. are all really appreciated.

Cheers, and thank you!

Thiago Sanna Freire Silva

Last edited by a moderator: