Help in choosing First Multicopter - Quad or Hex?

GTiPilot

Hi everyone,

Scott here from Australia. I'm new to multicopters but have no issues doing my own build and am a pilot by trade so know all about weight which is my main concern.

I would like a compact multirotor that I can put a gopro3 with gimble and take it around the world with me shooting awesome video and photo.

I am trying to decide between a quad or hex. I realise a quad is generally smaller and more nimble but has less space for extra equipment. A hex is more stable, slightly larger and more space for equipment and more expensive as there are 50% more parts needed.

The thing that concerns me is the loading. If you take a typical Quad frame they seem to be around 250g (frame only) which equates to 62g per motor. Compared to a Hex in the 600g range of 100g per motor. It doesn't sound much but thats a 61% increase in motor loading just going to a Hex compared to a Quad. Obviously they can handle this and is designed for it but does it make much difference or am I thinking way too deep?

Cheers,

Scott

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
If you want to take it with you in a compact package just get a TBS Discovery Pro.

Pete