Help, don't know what to buy to start..

AaronSJ

I hope I can get some help, I am very new to quadcopters, been reading about them, watching videos, practicing with a little Husban X4..

I want a quadcopter with live video feedback, an FPV, I also want to be able to send it to specific coordinates based on GPS. I'll be using something like an Arduino to send locations or controls to something like a Naza controller with GPS. The purpose of my project is to have a fully automated quadcopter, with some kind of obstacle detection/avoidance, of course with remote override, that can stream live video, for the sake of the project I can just stream the video to myself, but obviously in the future this would be upgraded to be online and even using something like Sky Drone FPV for long range video streaming and control.

I've been looking at a few quadcopters, the SteadiDrone QU4D, their website doesn't make it clear, at least to me, the difference between the Airframe and the full Kit, the frame is $375 and the Kit is $995, Now I am assuming the Kit has motors, ESCs, a controller, batteries and a receiver, but to me that seems a lot of money for those things, is there something I am missing?

I've also been looking at the TBS Discovery, but it seems expensive. The DJI Phantom seems quite complete and a lot cheaper, but doesn't look very customisable.

I've seen a few people use the DJI F450 and strap a GoPro to it, I assume this wouldn't be as good but might be good enough for the project with a transmitter, receiver and battery, also I wouldn't necessarily need something as good as a GoPro.

I wouldn't know which receiver and transmitter goes together really, if I want something like the battery status to be fed back to me on the ground, would I need a transmitter on the quadcopter, and another receiver with me, I've seen remote controllers have a lot of information about their vehicle so is it a 2-way system? Either way this is less important for now.

As you can see, I am really lost and I don't want to spend a fortune.

Aaron

There is a new build thread which is going through all the required equipment and steps to get yourself setup for your first MR. most of your questions should be answered on there

AaronSJ

I kind of worked it out, I went for the cheaper F450 but still need a transmitter and receiver, without camera for now

nabbs1

im loving my new dx7s

some advice - learn how to fly it in manual mode no matter what Flight controller you get. When Nature kicks your wheelchair out from under you, you need to be able to stand on your own.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
im loving my new dx7s

some advice - learn how to fly it in manual mode no matter what Flight controller you get. When Nature kicks your wheelchair out from under you, you need to be able to stand on your own.

TOTALLY agree with Nabbs1.....being able to fly your device when the crap hits the fan will save you a ton of heartache and expense! You will also be a much better pilot as well :)

nabbs1

TOTALLY agree with Nabbs1.....being able to fly your device when the crap hits the fan will save you a ton of heartache and expense! You will also be a much better pilot as well :)

so many threads about bad controllers and aircraft that could of been saved had they taken the time to actually fly themselves.