Hello quad-world!

cschwab145

Hi all! I am just starting to get into quadrotors as they have been an interest of mine for some time but I have never gotten around to devoting a bunch of time towards them. I have a mini-quad that is pre-build and absolutely love flying it so I figured I should build my own larger scale quad! I'm a college student right know (studying electrical engineering) and the benefit of building one of these awesome machines will help in more ways than one!

Granted I am still new to quadrotor design, even though I have done countless hours of research, I would just like to get people's opinions on my design choices. Such are my motor-ESC-battery combinations and such. I have defenses and reasons why I chose my parts, so it's not like I'm picking random parts and asking if they will work. What would be the most appropriate way to go about this on these forums!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to joining and being part of this great community!

wolph42

you can start with reading 'build' posts to get an idea of what is required. When you get a feel for that you can check my calculator out which helps you make the baby steps (as its helping me out doing my baby steps as Im in exactly the same situation as you....ok no longer a student, but former: physics).
My build link and my calculator can be found in my signature.

SoCal Blur

After using's wolph's calculator to get your basics down, you may also want to get familiar with eCalc (google search it). you can add your specific parts into this calculator and predict how it will perform. you can model different configurations to see if it improves or hurts the peformance. It's not the easiest to use but since you're an engineering student, you should be fine ;)

cschwab145

Thank you wolf! Thanks for the links, I will definitely look into these.
And SoCal I have stumbled upon eCalc briefly and yes it is not the easiest to use but ill get the hang of it.

Also, do any of you guys know a good resource for multi-rotor power systems? Such that explains how to choose an appropriate battery (mAh and C rating) that with supply certain motors properly?