Hello from St Louis MO

DieHard

Hello, Name here is Jerry, Been flying a X5SC for awhile now and decided to build my own quadcopter, and thought this is the place to start. So I may have a lot of Dumb questions for you seasoned flyers, Hope to learn a lot. Hope to chat with you soon. Thanks DieHard

F

fengshuidrone

Hi Jerry, Nice to have you here. I build my own quads using Multiwii FC, Q Brain ESCs, and carbon fiber. If you need any help I'm here.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hello, Name here is Jerry, Been flying a X5SC for awhile now and decided to build my own quadcopter, and thought this is the place to start. So I may have a lot of Dumb questions for you seasoned flyers, Hope to learn a lot. Hope to chat with you soon. Thanks DieHard

welcome to MultiRotorForums.com, jump right in, or don't, your decision, we'll be here when you're ready! :)

DieHard

Would like to know if there is any multiwii pro flight controllers floating around out there that are fakes.
Here is a pic of the 2 i have from different dealers. The pic and the Baros are different on them.

View attachment 25394

Attachments

• 20150706_171322.jpg
    20150706_171322.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 342

F

fengshuidrone

Don't know if there are fakes out there. The top board in your pic looks like a standard Multiwii Pro that the dealer or buyer took the time to put all of the headers in. I doubt if it came from HK like that though as they don't even offer the option of complete header installation. It uses the older baro (the little sensor with the hole in it.) I can honestly say that I don't know what version or baro the other one is though. I have a red MWPro with MTK GPS board from HK and I also own a blue, MWPro 2 from RTFQ that uses a newer better baro than the HK does. There are other makers of the Pro style board out there selling on ebay but I've never researched beyond what I actually use myself. There are probably some Chinese knock offs floating around out there though.....Get yourself one from RTFQ and there will be no issues with if it's genuine or not plus they are blue ( a manly color instead of girly girly red.)

Last edited:

DieHard

The top Board is from SkyeAerial.com and the bottom one is from HK. I Had put the headers on the 2 Boards myself.

F

fengshuidrone

View attachment 25488 TOP: Here's my board from HK exactly like your top one. I put the headers in on this one. If the one you own says Hex Tronic on it (on the back), it is an HK board. I searched HK's site for a board like that one on the bottom but could only find the one like I have. It comes with an MTK GPS module when you buy it. Costs around $65.00 I did a search there to find the one in your bottom picture: here is their entire line of MWFC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...57&sortBy=Relevant&NumPerPage=20&currentPage= The only one in there that they sell that is a red board is the MW Pro W/MTK GPS. I went to SkyeAerial.com and found them selling the exact same board and GPS combo for around the same price as HK. http://skyeaerial.com/shop/product/multiwii-pro-flight-controller-wmtk-gps-module.html and also could not find the one in your bottom pic. I'm surprised that another company would make a board like HK does with an old baro. I'm wondering if they are buying from HK to resell. Check the back of your board to see if "Hex Tronic" is printed on it. I thought they were the only swine out there selling obsolete stuff. It still flies OK, even on pos hold. That still makes me wonder about the one on the bottom, is that a REALLY old HK sale? Because they don't carry that FC and haven't for at least two years now. If it IS HK, what the heck baro is that?
Bottom: My RTFQ board. Notice the better baro. I also put the headers on this one (and have since I took this pic, straightened out that bent pin.) Some wires have been removed for the picture. This board holds altitude to within a foot when activated. I can set these boards up with my eyes closed (well, maybe not that well.)
View attachment 25489

Attachments

• DSCN3086.JPG
    DSCN3086.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN3088.JPG
    DSCN3088.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

DieHard

Both boards say Hex Tronic on the back and i just got them 1 day apart from each other last week. Bottom 1 from HK and the top from SkyeAerial.

F

fengshuidrone

Somethin' funny goin' on fer sure there. Well, Hex Tronic makes stuff for HK, so both of your boards came from their manufacturer, Hex Tronic. Maybe not by the same retailer but from the same supplier of FCs. If I were you I'd try and find out what kind of baro that is on the bottom board before you actually try to fly with it. Also in your Arduino config.h sketch you will need to uncomment the correct statement in the "boards and sensor definitions" section of the sketch. To do that correctly you will need to find out what version you should uncomment from the seller. For the one in the top picture it will be //#define FFIMUv2 // second version of 9DOF+baro board from Jussi, with HMC5883 <- confirmed by Alex
Since the bottom board doesn't have the same baro, it most likely can't use that version. From what I see, there are 9 different versions of those Mega boards. Maybe yours is the one with no baro at all. Does the device in the baro position have a little hole or holes in it? If not than it is the non baro version //#define FREEIMUv035 // FreeIMU v0.3.5 no baro. That is stuff you will need to know to get the board flying.
Also, I would say that SA.com sent you what you bought. HK didn't. They sold you something else than what they have advertised on their own site. Did both boards come with an MTK GPS? Because that is what they say they are selling.

F

fengshuidrone

Yes the board on the bottom the baro has a small hole in it. And yet it came with a mtk gps unit.
Yeah, you're going to need to find out what version it is or you might have trouble getting it to work. You can always just try one version after another until it acts right. If I was to make an uneducated guess, I would use //#define FREEIMUv035_BMP // FreeIMU v0.3.5_BMP or see if HK has updated their version info somewhere.
So, HK finally updated their old baro eh? Still not the best out there. After you figure out what version it is, make that your main FC on your best quad.

Last edited:

F

fengshuidrone

BTW, I own a Syma X11c. It's pretty sweet for such a small quad. How do you like that X5SC? Bigger than my X11c I know but that's all I know about it.