Hello from Northern Kentucky

p40whk

Hi everyone,

I was referred to this site from a mamber over at the RC Groups site. Not too many multirotor people that I know of here in Northern KY but hopefully I can find help here in the forums.

Just started building my first Quad Copter based off HKs Alien 560 frame. My first multi-rotor was a scratch built Tri-Copter using Ready-to-Fly Quads Flip Multiwii controller. I didn't have a lot of success with that and ended up crashing and doing considerable damage to it.

A year later and I'm starting over hoping the software/hardware has gotten a little more user friendly (Multiwii and Arduino aren't too complicated but the whole multi-rotor experience is a big learning curve).

I've got my frame built and decided to go with multiwii Pro 3.0 since I already have experience with mutliwii. I'm still playing with ecalc for my motor and battery setup and to me deciding on what to buy is the hardest part of this hobby!

I hope to have great conversations with many of you and hopefully wont get discouraged like I did with my Tri-Copter!

Jeff

JLawrence

Hey from Louisville!

Not sure how close that is to you but its nice to know there are other people around here that have this hobby.

p40whk

Hey from Louisville!

Not sure how close that is to you but its nice to know there are other people around here that have this hobby.

I'm up near Cincinnati so only about an hour and a half from you. I'm working on my second multirotor as my first was somewhat of a failure. Hopefully I've learned a few lessons!

It's an addicting hobby, if you like this sort of thing then you'll enjoy it as well.

Steve_in_NJ

Hi Jeff,

I too am building a quad with an HK Alien 560 - it's my first build of any kind. I am setting it up mostly for filming with a gimbal and gopro. I have found that after I add in all the electronics I want (I am going with DJI Naza and all the related stuff, the camera, gopro, spare battery to drive the electronics, etc, that the thing is getting heavy. To keep it in the air for more than a few minutes at a time I added a BIG battery which makes it even heavier. All that and 12" props, which barely fit. But so far all I have is the frame. Anyway, I may re-think the whole thing to see if I can make it lighter and still do what I want, but for now, here's a look at my latest eCalc numbers - tell me how this compares with your setup.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65762317/forums/March_30_2014 plan.png

-Steve

p40whk

Steve,

Those numbers look good but you may need to either elevate the GPS mount or move it as those 14" props will hit it. I also saw you other post over on the RCG and you were using 12" props with that eCalc setup. Those numbers look good as well. If you can get the SunnySky V series motors they're better and are a little better performing. That 6S battery is going to be expensive, just make sure you have ESCs that can handle it. I ended up going with the SunnySky 3508-20 (580Kv) motors, 12X5.5 props and a 6000mAh 4S battery. My flight times and load capacity aren't as good as yours with this setup but I didn't want to get all new ESCs to handle the bigger battery and lower Kv motors.

I have a set of the Witespy 30A Ice Blue Opto ESCs that I was going to use but opted to try the 20A 4-in-1 ESC to give me a cleaner wiring setup. I'll be using the Pixhawk FC with this (Tired of waiting for my MultWii Pro from Witespy) so I'm anxious for all my parts to get here so I can finish my assembly.

Now I have those 30A ESCs, a MultiWii Pro EZ 3.0 (eventually) and a few motors sitting around that I may have to put on another quad for a fun flyer!

Good luck with your quad, let us know how it turns out!

p40whk

The SunnySky motors are hot items, good quality for a good price. I ended up getting mine from HiModel.com. Paid a a few dollars extra for fedex and had them in less than a week! I see that they're out of the 4110 as well. You may have to try a different motor combination or pay more for a T-Motor.