Hello from Connecticut!

sikoix

Hello all,

My name is Pat and I spend just about all my time in the original tri-state area (CT/NY/NJ). I've been interested in multicopters for years but had never owned or flown one or really been involved in the RC hobby. I'm into photography, amateur radio (I hold an extra class license, call sign KQ2y), and technology (especially electronics) in general. I consider the two next-big-things for me to be multicopters and 3D printing.

Last Thursday I received my first RTF quadcopter - a Blade 180 QX HD last Thursday and a Blade 200 QX on Saturday. I wanted to get some smaller quadcopters to learn and practice with before I started sinking real money into prosumer grade quad and hexacopters. I'm fairly glad I did this because I already lost the 200 QX despite an hour or two of searching on foot and by car. I accidentally kept flying it higher on this foggy morning and lost a visual very quickly. This combined with assuming the aircraft was pointed in a direction that it wasn't, I wound up very quickly drifting directly away from myself. In my brief, brief time with the 200 QX, I was impressed with how smooth it was when I was making a bone headed error of some kind.

My next move was originally going to be picking up a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ (carefully compared and contrasted this to the 3DR x8+ octocopter - which I honestly would have preferred but it seemed like it would destroy my wallet by the time I finished outfitting it with what I wanted). But after my brief experience with RC multirotors and a lot more specific research into different motors, rotors, flight controllers, ESCs and etc, I can't picture myself buying something off the shelf with all the available components out there. I'd like to build my own on a Tarot 680 Pro platform to my own spec for a little lifting and stable aerial imaging. Looking forward to being a part of these forums!