Hello from Central FL

Rocky

I built a quad on an X525 frame back in late 2012 early 2013. Never really flew it except for a few hops, couldn't really get the KK board dialed in. I eventually switched to a KK2 board and shortly burned out an ESC. The project was shelved, then we moved across the country for a new job.

I got a toy quad (Syma X5C) and got pretty good at flying it. Other than the poor range, it flew well. I say "flew" because I lost it in the woods when it drifted out of range. It is thick scrub, searched a few times and couldn't find it.

I got the original quad back out and got a new 4-in-one ESC for it, it flies so much better now. My guess is that the bad ESC was causing the instability I had previously not the KK board. When it gave up the ghost and I replaced all the ESCs everything got synced up.

My plan is to get more comfortable with the X525, then build something even larger with all the bells and whistles FPV, GPS, etc. I'm thinking about building a hex in the 800mm range. I enjoy the build and tinker part just as much as flying.

Rocky

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Rocky, Welcome back to the hobby and to multirotorforums.com

Getting one built and flying is a huge accomplishment so congrats. Lots of stuff going on here, make yourself comfortable and jump right in whenever you're ready.

Which firmware are you using on the KK2 board? We've got a KK subforum here but could always use more KK fliers to keep the KK braintrust growing!

Welcome!
Bart

Rocky

I'm using the 1.5 firmware. I was going to update it but was having problems getting the USBASP working with Windows 8. I think last time I used my other laptop which is Win 7. I keep that laptop at my SIL's so it's just a matter of getting it from her. The new 4-in-one ESC has given me a new problem in that my gimbal (pitch only) needs power.

Rocky

Finally got around to uploading a pic of my quad. This is as close to where I want it. I still have to figure out how to control the camera. It already has CHDK on it, but I can't find my charger, I'm sure it will turn up. With the 2200mah battery, I'm getting about 5min flights. I have a larger one, but I have to buy/make an adapter for it.
DSC02302_zps23a4377c.jpg