HDMI Converter or buy new camera

denis1

Hi, I currently have a Sony A35 DSLR. It's a great camera but I just realised it doesn't have an AV output. I need to be able to use it for live view.
I wondering what the best solution would be. To buy a HDMI converter, as long as that will work. Or should I just buy the Canon 550D.
I really like the Sony but if it's not going to be practice for what I need then I would prefer to buy the Canon since its widely used.
But then if an HDMI converter works well it's worth spending the money so I can keep the camera I have.
And recommendations on using the converter? Or has anyone ever used the Sony?

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Hi, I currently have a Sony A35 DSLR. It's a great camera but I just realised it doesn't have an AV output. I need to be able to use it for live view.
I wondering what the best solution would be. To buy a HDMI converter, as long as that will work. Or should I just buy the Canon 550D.
I really like the Sony but if it's not going to be practice for what I need then I would prefer to buy the Canon since its widely used.
But then if an HDMI converter works well it's worth spending the money so I can keep the camera I have.
And recommendations on using the converter? Or has anyone ever used the Sony?

I use one and it works a treat. All you need to do is hook up a ubec to feed it with 5v. I have a separate lipo so I don't have to wire it up to the heli harness. Here it is just under the main frame.

View attachment 4305

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330857768.293715.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330857768.293715.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 224

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Thanks the converter sounds like the way to go then. What weight is yours?

It is deffo the way to go, IMO easier than buying a new camera if you are happy with what you have already have.

No idea about the weight, I don't have digital scales, but not very heavy, maybe 200g or so. Problem is that it's a bit bulky, but perfectly manageable if you have the space.

Gunter.

ghaynes

Yes, take it out of the case. Case is nothing but air and is heavy. I use a small Recom inline for power reduction to 5 volts. Rather than plugging it into the board with a plug I soldered the power wires to the bottom of the power connector. See a good shot of the board over at quadrocopter.us. The HDMI converter only costs about $40 US at Amazon.

Gary

ghaynes

Would be interested in someone that buys the board and how it works. Looks like a good size but don't want to be the guinea pig on this one since the current board, while larger, is known to work well.

denis1

That smaller one would of been perfect but I ordered one of the bigger ones just before you posted. No worries I'm sure I can get it lighter, it's just the size will be a problem. But I've figured out a spot where I'll sit it.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Don't forget to check input voltage before you buy. Im not sure if they all use 5v.

Regards, Gunter
via the Samsung

Jodde73

The small one from GLB is using 5v via usb, just chop a cable up, red/black, no problem.
If you don't have a spare usb/miniusb cable laying around something is wrong ;)