Trouble with battery charger balancing battery

dma251

I have a Bantam BC6 charger that is giving me frustration.

I fly my hexa with a pair of Turnigy Nano 3s 5000mah batteries. About every other flight I balance charge them individually, the other times in parallel. The last few times with one of my newer batteries my charger is not evenly balancing them. I will end up with something like 4.17, 4.17, 4.26. I have had some success in evening the voltages by individually charging seperate cells to the proper 4.20V but after a few uses they go out of balance again (different cells will be higher and lower.)

I realize the easy answer I would be that the battery is bad, but I am not so sure. Why would my charger be allowing an individual cell to go past the 4.20 volt threshold? It seems that the charger should be balancing these better...

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi DMA,

In the past I've had this happen when I've had poor contact between the balancing tap and the port where it gets plugged in. Next time you put the battery on the charger, if it starts to show an imbalance try gently rocking the balance plug in the port to see if the voltages change at all. You shouldn't be having this problem with newer batteries as it's happening more with my older packs.

It might be something else but this is worth taking a closer look at.

Thanks,
Bart

kloner

Aerial DP
i had that problem using inexpensive 50 and 200 watt chargers. as soon as went to an icharger, they go as even as they can, never over any cells and the damage they get is usually the cells that dont go as high. if a pack has uneven numbers like that after being balanced right, it's damaged & internal resistance goes up from it.