Having trouble setting NAZA failsafe (RTH) and DX7

38super

I am new to this and have one problem that I need help with. How do you set up failsafe ?.... RTH is same as failsafe true?.... I can not find anyone on u-tube that can give a intelligible answer. One guy started out fine. When he hit failsafe all his green points in Assistant moved and when he went back to GPS the points were all over the place. He said this is the way to test failsafe. When I get into FS I ether switch to it on the TX or I switch off TX all I see in Assistant is my throttle move to the left... OFF no green points move . I tried it out side yellow led started flashing but quad did not move then shot up but no where near where it launched. What am I doing wrong? The MC is a NAZA lite and Spectrum 6100e receiver, TX DX7 . How far away do you have to be for quad to come home from launch point? are there any other settings I have to set in Assistant besides go home checked off in auto pilot .............Thanks.... Will

Last edited by a moderator:

bensid54

I think the Naza instructions say the quad has to be 30 meters away or 90 feet away from it's starting point for the RTH to work. Did you bind your receiver again after setting failsafe? I had to do that with my Futaba for the failsafe to finally work because I think the controller saves the failsafe setting once you rebind. There are some experts on this site that will be more help with your setup.

RobertsUp

The RTH command in Naza isn't the same as the failsafe mode you want to have if the transmitter stops working. The real failsafe in case of TX failure needs to be setup with your transmitter during the binding session. Some receivers can't do that.

I think the Naza instructions say the quad has to be 30 meters away or 90 feet away from it's starting point for the RTH to work. Did you bind your receiver again after setting failsafe? I had to do that with my Futaba for the failsafe to finally work because I think the controller saves the failsafe setting once you rebind. There are some experts on this site that will be more help with your setup.

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
The 6100 has "smart" fail safe. This will not work for RTH fail safe. You need a Spektrum receiver that has " preset" fail safe. This feature is available on some of their 7 channel receivers, I believe the AR7010 has it. The owners manual for the 7010 tells how to set it up, same for the 6100. Search this forum for preset and smart fail safe. Tahoe Ed covers the subject in detail. Also check Helifreak and multirotor talk on RC Groups.

Farrealm

LeeT is right, you need the right receiver for it to work. I have my Naza M Lite set up with a Spektrum AR8000, which has "SmartSafe". The AR7010 has the same failsafe system but I am not sure about any other Spektrum receivers (just check the website).

When I bought my Naza the guys at the local RC store told me that it was never going to work with Spektrum (mainly as Spektrum is #$@$) so I was a bit worried at first. But, I found these instructions on setting up Naza with Spektrum gear (by XflyHQFilms) and it worked great. The instructions are meant for a DX7S with an AR8000 but I guess there is no reason why it shouldn't work on other Spektrum gear with comparable specs.

It really comes down to binding your receiver in the pre-set failsafe mode (read the transmitter manual).

Setting Up Your Spektrum DX7S & AR8000 Failsafe for DJI NAZA

By xFly HQ Films

http://www.xflysystems.com/blogs/news/7000392-setting-up-your-spektrum-dx7s-ar8000-failsafe-for-dji-naza

The whole failsafe thing can be a little frustrating to setup correctly on a Naza. This isnt the naza's fault, more the transmitter & receiver.

Once you've done it the first time its actually easy to do.

Some background info

1. The actual failsafe functionality resides in the receiver.
It has the ability to fall back on a specific channel setting when TX signal is lost.

2. You cannot setup a TX signal loss failsafe without having a receiver that supports failsafe.

3. Because the failsafe on the Naza works on the same channel as the control mode switch.
We cannot set the failsafe to activate with a standard defined switch position.
It needs to be set on the same channel as the control mode switch but in between one of the modes. (GPS-ATTI-MAN)
The problem is the TX only had a 3 position switch. So how do you set it in between?

Step by step guide

SET FAILSAFE FOR ATTI MODE (this is just a test of the failsafe to make sure it works, we will change a few things after we happy that it actually works)

1. TURN EVERYTHING OFF

2. Turn on the DX7s and make sure you have the correct model selected. And remember what switch positions define each mode. Eg. DOWN=GPS MID=ATTI UP=MAN

3. Turn off the DX7s

4. Insert the bind plug into the correct port on the receiver (make 100% sure it says BIND on the port)

5. Plug in the copter/receiver. The receiver LED will start flashing. This indicates its looking for something to bind to.

6. NOW REMOVE THE BIND PLUG BEFORE TURNING ON THE TRANSMITTER! LED will continue to flash.

6. Make sure your transmitter is OFF.

7. Set your control mode switch on your transmitter to ATTI mode [middle sw pos] (the transmitter must be off! This is the most important step!!!

8. Now hold down the trainer button while powering on the transmitter. Hold the button until it says its binding and displays DSMX.
Then release the trainer/bind button.

9. Once binding is complete the transmitter will reboot and go into normal flight mode. The LED on the receiver will now be solid.

10. Preset Failsafe binding is now complete.

TEST TO SEE IF FAILSAFE IS WORKING

1. Turn the transmitter on (if its off)

2. Plug in the copter and wait for it to initialize

3. Plug the copter into the PC and start the assistant.

4. Make sure the copter has successfully connected to the PC.

5. Go to TX Cali tab and make sure when you flick the control mode switch, it moves from GPS to ATTI to MAN.

6. Select GPS mode (GPS block is BLUE)

7. Now switch off your transmitter.

8. If you've done everything correctly it should change from GPS to ATTI mode.

9. If it doesnt, you've done something wrong or missed something. Start from the beginning

10. If it does, continue with below instructions.

SET FAILSAFE FOR TX SIGNAL LOSS

1. Turn everything on and get everything connected to the PC.

2. Make sure the control mode switch is working.

3. On the transmitter, go into the fuction list (click the wheel down)

4. Go to Servo Setup.

5. Flick your control mode switch and check to see which channel its on. GER, PIT, AX2 or AX3.

6. While watching the control mode switch postition on the naza assistant,
Remember the two percentages of travel for the CMS channel (we will be changing it back to this when we are done)
Now change the travel on the control mode channel servo travel until the tab moves away from either GPS or MAN. Move it to failsafe.

7. Once failsafe lights up blue, exit the assistant, unplug the copter from the pc, turn the copter off and then the transmitter.

8. DO NOT CHANGE ANY SWITCH POSITIONS AFTER STEP 6!

9. Make sure everything is turned off.

10. Insert the bind plug into the bind port on the receiver

11. Plug in the copter/receiver. The receiver LED will start flashing. This indicates its looking for something to bind to.

12. NOW REMOVE THE BIND PLUG BEFORE TURNING ON THE TRANSMITTER! LED will continue to flash.

13. Make sure your transmitter is OFF.

14. Now hold down the trainer button while powering on the transmitter. Hold the button until it says its binding and displays DSMX.
Then release the trainer/bind button.

15. Once binding is complete the transmitter will reboot and go into normal flight mode. The LED on the receiver will now be solid.

16. Preset Failsafe binding is now complete.

FIX THE SERVO TRAVEL & TEST THE FAILSAFE

1. On the transmitter, go to Function List, then Servo setup then change the channel travel percentages back to what they were before.

2. Plug everything into the PC and check to see if the channel performs correctly. Must be able to select GPS, ATTI and MAN.

3. While wathcing the channel position, turn off your transmitter. It should light up the failsafe on the Naza assistant bar.

4. If it doesnt, start with step 1 of SET FAILSAFE FOR TX SIGNAL LOSS.

5. If it does you are good to go. Congratulations!

Hope this helps all using the DX7s and AR8000!

-XFLY HQ