Having trouble deciding what FPV monitor I want...

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Hi FPV'ers,

I am trying to purchase an FPV monitor but I can't decide on which one I want, or I am worried that I might not yet have discovered the one I want. I definitely want to go with a monitor to start with so that others can see what I see.

I have purchased this bracket to attach it to my Spektrum transmitter. Ideally I am looking for something 7-8", preferably 8" viewable. With the standard FPV specs such as no blue/black screen on signal loss, high brightness & contrast for outdoors use, VESA and tripod mounting options.

These are the two options floating around in my head atm:

Does anyone here have experience with either/both of these monitors? What would you chose and why? Is there another brand/model that I might have missed?

Thanks for all input/suggestions :)

ghaynes

They are same monitor. Not sure who actually makes them but the Foxtech and ReadyMadeRC are the same. I have the Foxtech and it works well. High brightness outdoors. The Foxtech has the 4 holes in the back if that is what you are calling a VESA mount.

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Thanks for replying Gary.

I actually purchased the Foxtech one after I made the post :} After looking at them closely I figured they were the same as the housing matches. I went for the Foxtech just in case the resolution was in fact higher. And yeah the VESA mount is the 4 holes on the back - I actually emailed Foxtech to verify and they told me that it did not have them. So thank you for confirming that for me.

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
I have not received the monitor yet and this is my first FPV viewing device. I am confident it will work well :) I might look at goggles later but for the time being I am not too fussed about them.

LL-Cool-T

Oh. Ok. I checked out the website that you got the screen from and I saw the 10". Is there a reason you went for the 8 and not the 10. I'm gonna do the same thing you are. Thanks for the quick response.

Lou

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
I will be attaching it to my transmitter using the bracket in my first post. So I do not really want it to be too heavy. At 8" it is only a little smaller than an iPad screen which I think will be plenty for my needs. If you are building a ground station setup then the 10" might be more suitable for you.

mitsaras

The 7" & 8" monitors are brighter than the 10". I have the Foxtech 7" and I'm happy with it. I was originally going to attach it to my Tx too, but after I tried it I took it off - it was too heavy and unbalanced. Consider that you need a video Rx and a lipo to power them also.

mitsaras

Also, with the screen attached to the Tx it gets very bad glare from the sky. Best to just set it up on a tripod.

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Thanks for the info mitsaras. I thought it might be too heavy too. I have tested the weight and it seems ok for me, the neck strap will do a lot of the work.

mitsaras

Yeah, I could live with the weight, it was all the glare and reflections I was getting that made this arrangement a poor choice for me... I found out I was holding the Tx almost up to my face to get the video screen out of direct sunlight, even with the hood attached, and that was totally inconvenient.
Foxtech are selling this bracket that might work a bit better as far as balancing the weight:
2.jpg