Has anyone mounted three 2200mha three cell batteries on a DJI 450?

bensid54

I'm thinking about flying with three 2200mha three cell battery packs to increase my flight time. Some say use four cell packs to increase flight time but I'm more comfy using three cell and want to stay with them. So my big concern is can the quad deal with packing around 6600 mha worth of three cell batteries?

All comes down to your takeoff weight, my DJI F450 with one 2200mha, zenmuse 2d h3, hero 3black, mini iosd, dji 5.8mhz video tx,NAZA M with GPS,stock motors and esc, is 1.6kg , that is the max TOW for the 450 it flies fine for 5 minutes then I land I think I can fly for another 90 seconds but have never tried to push it that far.

I have been thinking to put another battery but definitely I will never put 3 over my base weight, and 2 might be to much weight and not really increase my flying time i will try this week!!!

I think the only way to see what happens is just trying!!!! and please post the results!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

bensid54

I'll do that if and when my fat shark shows up. I have to remount everything for that and I'll see about laying three batteries side by side then. Still have to make my Fat Shark gimbal to prevent sea sickness.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I went that route then at first (2x3S) as I had lots lying around then changed to 4S. What a difference! Twice the flight time and less current draw and the motors/ESC/Lipos don't even get warm.

bensid54

I may go that route down the road when I use these batteries up. The other thing too is how long do the Fat Shark batteries last in the receiver and goggles.

Rainman

I may go that route down the road when I use these batteries up. The other thing too is how long do the Fat Shark batteries last in the receiver and goggles.

Forever ! Seriously, I can't get over how frugal my Attitude SD's are. I can go four flights (10 mins each) and only put 300mAh back into the back. They last even longer when I disable the onboard receiver and hook them up to a dual-diversity receiver. Fatshark vTX is pretty much the same story. None of this stuff chews through batteries particularly hard. I run a separate 1300mah pack for my Zenmuse, GoPro and my vTX, I change it out every couple of flights but I really don't need to as I only ever end up putting 200 to 300 mAh back in each time.

Hey I run the dji f450 with Sunnysky 2216 900kv motors and on one 3s 5000mah pack I get fifteen min safe or max 19 min with one min to spare. Yes I have run two I'm parallel and it worked great about 45 min safe flight time. The biggest paths I ran was two Max amps 3s 10000mah packs which was great I got tired, but I did learn you better have it tied it strapped down. Because they stand so tall in sway or movement in the packs it's hard to fly or major adjustment needed to get to hover hour this helps

bensid54

Looks like three packs will work! I'm going to pick up a scale at the local hardware store and get a scale to track my weight so I can keep within specs.

RobertsUp

I went that route then at first (2x3S) as I had lots lying around then changed to 4S. What a difference! Twice the flight time and less current draw and the motors/ESC/Lipos don't even get warm.

I agree. A single 4S on the F450 is boss.

But my F450 is a hybrid, using bigger motors and props. It flies for 14 minutes unburdened, carrying no camera or fpv gear.

My batteries now are 4000 MaH but i'm going to get 5500 MaH. Glaciers. Same as Gen Ace.

At some point the law of diminishing marginal returns will rear it's head and after that equilibrium is reached adding more weight will negate the performance of additional weak batteries. Imo.

Last edited by a moderator: