Has anyone evaluated the $200 3-axis gopro gimbals on eBay yet?

dma251

I am still torn up about which gimbal I should be getting for my gopro3. I am flying solo trying for smooth-panning video (just like most of us I bet).

I see these cheap sub-$200 gimbals showing up on eBay from china but are they worth the money yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Axis-Alum...037?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd6b630d5

I am torn between trying one, or getting a Viacopter VectorDD from gotheli and adding third axis onto it. It's twice the cost to do it that way, but the VectorDD just looks like a much better designed unit with its double-shear support of the camera on pitch/roll axis.

Thoughts from all you guys that know more than I do about this?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I have not used one but at $200 and free delivery you have not got a lot to lose have you, if you need 3 axis I would suggest giving it a go but be prepared to do a bit of fiddling to get it working perfectly.

Pete

deluge2

Actually you have about $200 to lose. Not to mention time invested and associated frustration. We all naturally want these 'too good to be true' items to be what the purport to be. Occasionally they are. Occasionally they can be made to function acceptably. But quite often they don't ever work right or don't really work at all. Read the forums regarding the cheapo units; 'YMMV' is an understatement. And, to be sure, even the primo priced units are no walk in the park.

The unit looks good in the pics, but note all the black wires neatly coiled and going nowhere. Presumably these need to be uncoiled and plugged into the 3 motors, creating potential balance issues. Note "Pre-order,will on stock in 15days,first order,first send;" meaning these are vaporware until proven otherwise. "Compatible with GoPro 1,2, & 3" (What, no 3+??). This flexibility sound great, but it also means the unit is bigger than it needs to be for 3/3+ so more weight than necessary and it will not be a custom fit for any of these models and will need to be carefully adjusted in effort to achieve ~perfect balance. Oh, and no manual, no online instructions, no meaningful details at all. What board, what software, how is firmware upgraded,...

So I would definitely adopt a wait and see, unless you can afford to spend $200 for something that might never work right.

OTOH, we'd all be interested to read about your experiences if you, well, if you feel lucky!

Steve

I have not used one but at $200 and free delivery you have not got a lot to lose have you, if you need 3 axis I would suggest giving it a go but be prepared to do a bit of fiddling to get it working perfectly.

Pete

Hi, if all you want to spend is $200 try the Beholder gimbal, they are releasing a 3 axis soon but that will cost more.
http://ehobby.cn/index.php?main_page=index
This unit is using the open source Martinez controller and is pre configured plug and play.
Kloner has recommended this gimbal, I also have one.
Regards - bruce

Bynx

I saw a Youtube video on unboxing, complete assembly and using the TRD Beholder Gimbal. It sold for $175 and the new owner says it was a very good buy.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
could always make your own 3 axis if you like tuning things. Alex mos 3 axis plus a boardless gimbal. The board/firmware/tune is what makes the largest difference with gimbals. Typically that is what you are paying for is the firmware and such

dma251

I have also heard the good things about the beholder gimbal, and imam very pleased with the super fast service from Cncheli, but I really want a three axis gimbal, as the jerky pan movements via the rudder inputs just ruin otherwise nice footage. The alexmos follow mode seems like just the ticket, and I'm hesitant to get a beholder gimbal and find it difficult to add this function. At least if I use alexmos I know it's available by adding the 3rd axis module.

I imagine there will be all kinds of three-axis gimbals out soon for the gopros, but im ready to start now.

I noticed Gotheli has the Viacopter VectorDD reduced to $325 WITH the alexmos controller, so adding a third axis is probably doable for less then $100....

http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=221&cat=ViaCopter+Gimbal+System

dma251

Hmmm.... it certainly does add options - which is good! The VectorDD still looks like a much more stable design, but I am reading and watching all these other little $200 gimbals like the Tarot, the Beholder, FeiYu FY-G3, etc that look much less substantial, but people seem happy with them. Should I quit overthinking this and buy one of them, or is there a compelling reason to pay a bit more for the VectorDD?

At this point I'm determined that a 3-axis with follow-mode is a requirement for my needs. Whatever I get, 3rd axis is happening.

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
I think you're over worrying. :)

If you like building, tinkering to perfect your need, then I think the Vector DD and the Alexmos board is the way to go. The other gimbal are meant to aim for new comer and doesn't want to mess with anything. However the downside is that if you crash, because of their special design, I don't think there's anything you can do to fix anything. But the Vector DD, you can replace motors, board, possible even bend the aluminum back into shape.

Hope that help.

tstrike

pendejo grande
That FeiYu gimbal looks really interesting. Can you still use Polar Pro filters on the gp3? Currently using rct gimbal with martinez board but the build quality sucks, had a hard landing and lost 2 screws (that only caught 2 threads) on the camera cage and am thinking of going a different route. Love the video of the guy throwing the thing around on his desk!
so there is no tuning software at all?

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Sorry, can't really tell... I don't use those filter and not sure how they go on ? But it's not the weight that will matter if that's what you're worring, their demo video show they put a big giant clay on one side of the gimbal and it still work. :)

Yup, from what they told me, no tuning software for now, everything is ready. It look like the motor is so powerful, tuning is unnecessary.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Thanks, the filters pressure fit on the lens, it looks like I could still use them, hard to tell from the pictures how thick that bracket is holding the gp3 in.
It's like half the weight of the rct pos gimbal, that's a plus!

Edit: I'll let you know, just ordered one!

Last edited by a moderator: