Hardware / Software working combinations

snoop911

So as a totally newbie, I see so many choices that it's a bit overwhelming... If I understand the major configurations/history correctly..

APM 1.X based on ATMega1280

APM 2.x is an ATMEGA2560 and ATMEGA32U-2 (for USB) based platform

• ArduPilot Mega (APM) 2.6 running Arducopter 3.0.1 firmware .
  • AIOP All In One Pro Flight Controller V2 running MegaPirateNG (MP NewGen) and MultiWii firmware for UAV capabilities

APM 3.x : future ARM based Arducopter version

dsPIC Based Platforms

• AutoPilot UDB5 UAV Development board with IMU, running MatrixPilot firmware
  • AUAV3 running MatrixPilot firmware
  • Gluonpilot2 (dsPIC33) with Xbee running GluonPilot firmware

STM32F1 ARM Cortex M3 Based Platforms:

• MultiPilot32 hardware with ArduIMU+V3 Shield, running Arducopter32 firmware (i.e. 32 bit version Arducopter 2.x)
  • Naze32 running MultiWII firmware

STM32F4 ARM Cortex M4 Based Platforms

• PX4 running PX4 firmware, and also Arducopter32/APM2.6 via ATMega emulation
  • VR-Brain (MP32F4 v4) running Arducopter32 firmware, and possibly in the future PX4 firmware
  • OpenPilot running OpenPilot GPS/GCS software
  • AeroQuad32/Baloo running LibMaple firmware

Quadrino hardware running MultiWII firmware

AutoQuad6

QUESTION 1: If the APM has an ATMega32U-2, what is the similarly named "ArudPilotMega'" that Sparkfun sells (
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10294 ) that has an ATMega328)?

QUESTION 2: How do the the Pirate/NextGen (NG) firmware fit into all this (i.e. ArduPirates SuperStable, Arducopter NG, Ardupirates NG, etc)? Paparazzi / Eva?

QUESTION 3: Is the MultiPilot32 the only one that uses an external IMU Shield / FreeIMU while all the others don't mention IMU / OilPan because it's built into the main FCB?

QUESTION 4: Why do some software packages (OpenPilot,
Gluonpilot2, PX4) not run on platforms of similar hardware? These incidentally don't run software from other platforms either.. why?!

QUESTION 5: Will most Ground Station software work with any platform? (AndroPilot, HappyKillMore, etc)

QUESTION 5: Would most all frame work with any platform above? For example, the popular frames seem to be X, H, Stretched-X, either
4, 6, 8 motors, but will any of these work regardless of the controller board / software? Is there a sturdy one that is recommended for newbies?

• Hoverthings FLIP FPV
  • QAV500,
  • APM 3DR Y6
  • Parrot's AR Drone 2

QUESTION 6: Would most Radios work with any platform / frame above? PPM-Sum, Fry-Sky on a Futaba, Graupner MX-16?

QUESTION 7: What's recommended to see real-time video from the uav (either via goggles or pc)?

Wow, sorry for the long first post, but just have a million thoughts/questions that are running through my head!