Hardside Travel Case for Multirotor.

Zeke

Hello Everyone! Just wanted to share... maybe other people had similar ideas/wanted to see how well it can come out.

So, I'm flying home to Michigan next week and have had a plan in the making for a hardside case to take the F450 with me along with everything I could need for a month. I spent a few days researching what size/make of case I would want and that's when I stumbled across www.casecruzer.com. I found a comparison chart where they compare themselves with like-sized Pelican and Storm cases. I also looked at Starlight and a few other brands I can't really remember right now. Before I purchased a case I went to a local custom foam cutting business and asked them how much it would cost for them to design a layout and do a foam cutout for whatever sized case I bought. $250 + The Case. Dang...

Anywho, I wanted something large enought I could drop the Quad into with absolutely everything I could need to get and go, without pretty much any disassembly. I purchased their 29X18X11 case. Their quality is about the same as Pelican. Can't really seem to find any flaws with it. It came with 4 layers of thick foam that was perforated in (about) half inch increments. The process was slow (about distracted 6 hours) and definitely makes you think in 3 dimensions. And for anyone wondering it's cut at the legs because I've got Iris Aerial legs. I do have one question though. Does anyone know flying rules when it comes to LiPo batteries?

As for how it holds up, VERY WELL. I've shaken and dropped the case (full) :dejection: for stability and sturdiness quality testing. Nothing Broken, but I'd rather break something in the case before I fly, than get home and realize 3 arms are broken, half the propellers I have broke and the radio snapped into 2390420934 pieces... not to mention this gives me a bit more peace of mind knowing how baggage handlers, 'handle' baggage.

Sorry for the 2 pictures that had sub par quality. Layers removed from left to right. Questions? Comments? Critiques? Kudos?
View attachment 12987 View attachment 12988 View attachment 12989 View attachment 12990View attachment 12991

Attachments

• GOPR0112.JPG
    GOPR0112.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 289
  • GOPR0113.JPG
    GOPR0113.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 304
  • GOPR0114.jpg
    GOPR0114.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 296
  • GOPR0116.JPG
    GOPR0116.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 160
  • GOPR0117.JPG
    GOPR0117.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 254
Last edited by a moderator:

Teamflail

I do have one question though. Does anyone know flying rules when it comes to LiPo batteries?

This is the short page I found about travelling with batteries when flying. Interesting as it mentions that you SHOULD take any spare batteries in your carry on as the crew could attempt to extinguish the fire if the battery did catch on fire. However, we all know how tough that can be.

http://safetravel.dot.gov/tips.html

This forum has people saying they put them in their checked luggage and some did carry on the battery. IN any case, I would get the LiPo battery bags that are designed to contain the battery fire if they do start burning. They can be found on Ebay for little money. As for checking or carrying on, I am not sure which I would do but having the battery in those bags will most likely go a long way to contain it.

http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/8402-any-adviceexpierience-traveling-with-lipo-batteries/