Hard climb out shudder

Olemil

Guess I might as well throw this out here and see what advise I can get. I finally switched to 4s to help my F450 fly in the wind, works great now btw!! I am currently using the stock 8" DJI props until my 9x5 Graupners arrive from across the pond. I seem to be getting some pretty decent shuddering now on a real hard climb out in manual mode. I would compare the shudder to a heli that has some serious tail wag. If it was in ATT or GPS mode I would suspect vertical gain too high, but this only happens in manual mode. Would it by chance be my arms flexing from the extra torque of the 4s pack causing the Naza to go bonkers? The props are all balanced (blades and hubs) with a DuBro so don't think that is it. Didn't have that trouble running it on 3s with 10" props and my 450 is stock other than landing gear. Other than that it seems to perform real well on 4s, flies like a new bird. Thanks for any tips, much appreciated!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Olemil

Update: just thought I would share my findings after finally getting a chance to do some more tweaking. I did lower my pitch/roll gains about 10% and it helped a bunch. Still had an occasional shudder but if I go any lower on gains it would start to drift while climbing. Now I received my 9x5 Graupners and tried them yesterday. No shudders at all even at my old gain settings, nice. Now I have a new problem, while landing the first time with the 9x5's, just before I shut down the motors the quad lifted up in the front and flopped over. Luckily I got the motors shut down asap but one prop did hit the grass and spun off the prop nut. No damage done but seemed weird it's never done this before. Not sure if it was caused by the increased lift of the 9" props over the 8's plus running 4s it has a lot more turbulence or what? Second landing was better, it tried to lift the front again but I was ready for it and shut down the motors sooner. Overall I am impressed with the 450 running 4s and the Graupner 9" props!!!

bnt276

I had a similar experience after putting graupner 9X5's on while running 4S Pulse 3300mAh's...

I had to lower my gain settings a bit because it wanted to act up when landing and taking off... flip, etc.

See if that works for you.

GOOD LUCK

Olemil

bnt276, thanks for the info. I did notice it was a bit touchy when I was bringing it in to land. I might add it was pretty smooth taking off but I didn't waste any time getting it airborne like when I was coming in to land. I think the Graupners have a boat load more thrust (hence more prop wash) than the stock 8" DJI's I had on before these. I am around 139% on pitch/roll at the moment, seemed to be the most stable there in the wind. I may drop it a bit next time I go out and see what happens ( I have pitch/roll gains set up on a knob on tx). Also I forgot to mention I was in manual mode both times I landed, not sure if it would be better in ATT or GPS mode or not. I'll do some more testing and hopefully I don't break something if she roll over again...lol. Thanks again!! P.S. I too am running a 3300mah 35c 4s pack.