H3-3D is it available-for-sale by itself anywhere?

I see the bundle with the Phantom but is this gimbal available so I can use it on my 450 or 550?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

econfly

I would hold off for just a little while (or really make sure your dealer knows what they are sending). There are two versions of this thing out there already. One has a the rear connection to the GoPro, but that version is (for some at least) producing interference/noise in the AV output that you would feed into an iOSD/video tx. Very quickly (as in just a few weeks after release) DJI released a second version that connects to the GoPro via USB for acquiring AV and for charging. This second version, apparently, does not have the degraded AV out issue. There likely are still first versions in the supply chain. The whole other issue -- getting one not made exclusively for a Phantom -- is unclear from what I can find out, but I haven't seen anyone out there posting or commenting on using a non-phantom version yet.

econfly

Thanks Econfly -- I was looking for that info. Appreciate it.

No problem. The H3-2D is a great little gimbal and I've been interested in the 3D too, but like you want one for a 450/550 sized copter. Over on another forum there is a huge thread with people working out the issues with the 3D, dealing with jello, etc. I can't tell if it is just a big crowd of relatively new users who are expecting too much, unaware of GoPro limitations (fast shutter in bright light in particular) or flying too aggressively, but there is a lot of complaining going on. Then DJI offered up the second version of the new H3-3D so very quickly after selling the first run. They had to have that second version in the production/supply chain (and thus had to know they had a problem with the first) even as they were selling the first version. Granted the tech is moving very very fast, but in this case it sure looks like DJI dumped inventory of a new product they knew to be flawed even as they were producing its replacement. Obviously can't say for sure, but it was not a move that looked good.

Maybe they dumped them specifically on the Phantom user because it's a less technically savvy bunch. Know I'm stereotyping, but if you didn't build it it's unlikely you'll know that something is wrong in the first place and just think that is what it is - and to somebody who doesn't really know what they're looking at it still pretty impressive. Maybe they were hoping for very few complaints from those users.