Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Excellent idea!

BTW....I may have missed this but what is everyone using for some sort of landing skids/gear if any????

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Funny you should mention that Mike. I wasn't going to use landing gear but this morning I decided to go ahead and mount an FPV camera and video transmitter to my F450 so I needed some landing gear. I had been discussing a new idea with a friend of mine and decided to give it a try. they are made from 7/16" aluminum tubing and they're a bit springy but should be fine for flying. cost, about 8 bucks for a 4 ft piece of tubing.

I might tweak the design a little but I'm happy with them for the most part.

View attachment 15848View attachment 15849

Attachments

• 2-IMG_1640.JPG
    2-IMG_1640.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 449
  • 1-IMG_1638.JPG
    1-IMG_1638.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 428
Last edited by a moderator:

At the suggestion of fellow site member md2020 (an eye doctor perhaps?) I've gone ahead and listed the video links and important posts in the first post of the thread.

Thanks MD2020 for the suggestion!
It's great that someone is keeping an eye on things (yuk yuk)

Funny you should mention that Mike. I wasn't going to use landing gear but this morning I decided to go ahead and mount an FPV camera and video transmitter to my F450 so I needed some landing gear. I had been discussing a new idea with a friend of mine and decided to give it a try. they are made from 3/8" aluminum tubing and they're a bit springy but should be fine for flying. cost, about 8 bucks for a 4 ft piece of tubing.

I might tweak the design a little but I'm happy with them for the most part. (omitted photos)
Attached to bottom plate how?
Weight?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Bartman

here's another pic (without the wide angle lens distorting everything)...it's held on with zip-ties and there's some foam weatherstripping tape between the frame and the tubing. i've been using this size tubing for landing gear on my larger heli's for a while so I have tooling and stuff to bend it.

weight is about 75 grams

View attachment 15850

Attachments

• IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 363

My quad is done but growing. View attachment 15851 The battery now hangs beneath the quad.

I am looking for a set of FW550 plates to move everything over to, and will be replacing the stock arms with the Aimdroix aluminum (extended length -- 50mm longer each) arms. It will then be essentially a 650. It will be built as a quad, omitting the middle two arms. Replacing the stock motors (likely tiger MT3506-25 650kv) and run 13-14" props. Will also be adding FPV camera (plus OSD and a LCD monitor instead of goggles) and a gimbal for my GoPro Hero2 (Tarot maybe?). I have the bottom plate tabs out to the sides so that I can run two batteries if I want, and I can also expand it to a hex machine if I want.

The landing gear is an open question so I hope some discussion begins. I'm looking at the Bradatech legs. The price of a good battery, but they have the ability to nicely carry dual batteries and I kinda like that.

She-who-must-be-obeyed is being tolerant but thinks I've lost my mind.

Attachments

• F450 profile.jpg
    F450 profile.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 427

Bartman

those legs are way overpriced at $98 and they weigh twice as much as my aluminum prototype legs! ugh...maybe i should burn off 10 or 20 sets and have them anodized

here's another pic (without the wide angle lens distorting everything)...it's held on with zip-ties and there's some foam weatherstripping tape between the frame and the tubing. i've been using this size tubing for landing gear on my larger heli's for a while so I have tooling and stuff to bend it.

weight is about 75 grams

View attachment 19766

Simple and light. Neat. I have a tool to bend copper pipe -- would that work?

COMike93yj

Still Building!
I elected to go with the IrisAerial legs.......good way for ME to keep the quad upright and still allow for a cam in the front (batwing)......

I elected to go with the IrisAerial legs.......good way for ME to keep the quad upright and still allow for a cam in the front (batwing)......
As you see from my pic above, I got the IrisAerial legs (and painted in contrasting colors for orientation) but they really aren't tall enough. And those are batwings on my 450.

Bartman

That's a perfectly good solution Mike. Lots of people are using them and they work great.

cjacobs

Getting most of my parts in the mail. One thing I got Pulse batteries. They came with a ec5 connector on it. I was under the impression that they didn't come with a connector on it so I bought ec3 connectors.
Would you guys recommend buying ec5 connectors or just go ahead and solder on the ec3 connector?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rupe

Hello all

I've been following this (very good) thread for a few weeks and I've built myself an F550, which is almost ready for its first flight. I've set up my Naza v2 and Futaba T8J with switches working for orientation modes and flight modes (inc failsafe) - but I'm struggling to set up a switch for forced failsafe. The videos I've watched don't seem to work for me. Anyone found a good one for the Naza v2 and Futaba T8J connected with s-bus?

One work around would be to ditch manual mode and just set it to go into failsafe mode instead, but it would be nice to keep that.

Also, I've read a number of comments about reversing the throttle channel on Futaba TXs but the Naza Assistant allowed me to reverse the direction on the Naza v2 instead. Is this a new feature in the Assistant/firmware or have I messed up?

Thanks.

Rupert.

Bartman

Getting most of my parts in the mail. One thing I got Pulse batteries. They came with a ec5 connector on it. I was under the impression that they didn't come with a connector on it so I bought ec3 connectors.
Would you guys recommend buying ec5 connectors or just go ahead and solder on the ec3 connector?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

the ECC5 is way overkill for a small heli, i'd cut the ec-5's off and put the -3's on there.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
As you see from my pic above, I got the IrisAerial legs (and painted in contrasting colors for orientation) but they really aren't tall enough. And those are batwings on my 450.

CaptainJustice.....why are they not tall enough? Tall enough for what? I am a bit confused. I do love the way you painted them up...it looks really nice!!!! Did you use any "special" paint to do that to them?

That's a perfectly good solution Mike. Lots of people are using them and they work great.

Thanks Bart....I had a great conversation with Yuri about the legs and the batwing. For now, I think this is a perfect solution for me. I ordered 3s 4000 mAh Turnigy Blue batteries and they are much bigger than I had anticipated! I "COULD" mount the battery in between the top and bottom plates but the battery would be resting on top of the solder connections for the ESCs and the Power input. I don't really like that.

I was going to mount the battery on the TOP plate but my FC (a KK2.1 from HobbyKing) will not align with the holes on the top. If I were to put it on top of the bottom plate (which I might still do) I would not be able to view the LCD screen for programming. This may not be an issue once I get it all programmed and tweaked but I hate to have to remove the top plate each and every time I want to make a correction.

This leaves me with mounting the KK2.1 on the TOP plate. Not a bad deal but that really limits me to only ONE place for the battery...that would be on the bottom of the F450. This solution seems to work out well but ONLY because I am getting the IrisAerial legs.

One thing that I am thankful for.....NOT having my parts ship as soon as I originally wanted them to arrive. Had I received everything at once I would have started my build only to find out that my "original" plans would not work out the way I planned them to. Awaiting parts has been a PITA at times but it caused me to actually "dry fit" the components on my work table. I found out fairly quickly that my "original" plan would simply not work.

I really recommend that folks that are NOT using all the DJI components (and even ones that are)..sketch out how you envision your quad to look when assembled. Once that is done, take some time and do a preliminary "fit test" or assembly. For me this was worth ten thousand words as I have trouble with seeing things in my brain without a picture or a diagram.

My pulse batteries came with ec5 connectors. I was under the impression that they didn't come with anything. I bought ec3 should I just solder those on instead? Or would you buy ec5?

CJacobs.....really good point that you bring up! I elected to go with EC3 and EC5 connectors for my build. IIRC Bartman stated that they were easier to solder and I am a beginner when it comes to soldering. You could snip the EC5 off and put on an EC3 connector if you really wanted to do so. I, on the other hand, would get an EC5 connector and wire that up to the bottom plate so that you have an EC5 connection for the battery. I will be using EC3s for various connections (esc to motor) and use EC5s for my power stuff. My charger will be using an EC5 connection to the power supply.

Someone might be able to chime in about just what the EC3/5 connectors are rated for but I cant recall off the top of my head.

EDIT: Bartman chimed in before I wrote this....LOL! I agree with his sentiment that the EC5 is overkill but my rationale is that I try to keep connectors in line with my charging scheme. All my batteries will have the EC5's on them....mainly because that is how I keep them differentiated from other things. EC5 = Power in my mind EC3 = connectors (non-power...such as ESC to motor in my case)....my logic may be flawed but it works for me :frog:

EDIT 2: Please disregard my EC5/EC3 debate...Bart cleared this up for me.....I misspoke on the ESC to motor and meant ESC to the distro board connection....by placing the EC3's there I would be adding unnecessary weight and one more connection that could potentially fail. I will be soldering the ESCs directly to the power distro board. Thanks for keeping me on the straight path Bart! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

i'm not going to argue with you over battery connectors Mike but keep in mind we're trying to be weight conscious. letting little details slip that are heavier than they need to be indicates that you might be letting other details slip in. keeping total weight to a minimum means scrutinizing every decision and detail so that they are all appropriate but not too overkill. are you putting an EC-3 on every ESC-to-battery connection? what you're doing isn't going to sink the ship but just keep in mind that an increase in weight equals a decrease in endurance and that as you build future heli's keeping weight to a minimum is a big priority.
bart

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Bart,

I hope you didn't take my rationale on the connectors as an argument....it wasn't meant to be so. I appreciate the comment on the connectors.....I wasn't aware that there was that much of a difference in weight but you are spot on by saying that we all need to keep the weight down as much as possible.

I am not putting the ECs on all the motor ESC connections NOW...LOL....what you stated on the weight issue is correct and I have rethought what I am going to do. Before the weight consideration, I was planning on placing them on so that I could easily swap the ESC's out. However with the weight issue it certainly would add up unnecessary weight. Thanks for chiming in and making it clearer now.

With that being said, do you recommend ditching the bullet connectors that go from the motor wires to the ESC? I realize that having the bullets between the ESC and the motor make it really easy to swap the wires in case a motor is running in the wrong direction but once you figure out that they are going the correct way would you then just solder the motor wires and ESC wires directly to one another and eliminate the extra weight of the bullet connectors?

Thanks for keeping me focused on the weight issue. I definitely overlooked that one!!!

Cheers,

Mike :)