Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

Pleiades

Gotta start somewhere! (I'm a newbie to quads, just not RC ;) )

Most receivers are designated as full-range or for park-flying. You definitely want a full-range Rx. Beyond that, the range for the most part is determined by the transmitter, not the receiver. While some may have more sensitive antennas, you'll be able to fly your aircraft further than your eyes will let you (with full range receivers).

That being said, any Futaba Fasst Rx will work. I personally use FrSky equipment due to the rock solid link they have a reputation for, and the price factor is a big plus. Tons of FPVers use their equipment exclusively.

I went with the FrSky TFR6 but Im having problems with binding it to the Futaba T8FG Super
I held the button down on the TFR6 while powering it on and the LED immediately went to solid green.
However the radio and receiver obviously aren't talking to each other as the Naza led is blinking yellow and the Naza software cant see the radio.
I guess that something needs to be changed on the radio and today Ive spent a lot of time reading the manual and on the net looking for the answer but cant find it.
Does anyone have any ideas...or should I post this sort of thing as a new thread elsewhere?

coreyperez

Bart,

I've got a quick question regarding your "blue foam". Can the FC be mounted upside down (suspended from the top plate)? Or will that screw with the gyros/Accelerometers? Just thinking that would possibly open up the options to not have to add unneeded items on the MR.

Corey

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I went with the FrSky TFR6 but Im having problems with binding it to the Futaba T8FG Super
I held the button down on the TFR6 while powering it on and the LED immediately went to solid green.
However the radio and receiver obviously aren't talking to each other as the Naza led is blinking yellow and the Naza software cant see the radio.
I guess that something needs to be changed on the radio and today Ive spent a lot of time reading the manual and on the net looking for the answer but cant find it.
Does anyone have any ideas...or should I post this sort of thing as a new thread elsewhere?

Pleiades,

That would be a good question for the General Discussions area. I'd try to offer help but I'm not a big Futaba user at the moment.

Thanks!

Bart

Bartman

Bart,

I've got a quick question regarding your "blue foam". Can the FC be mounted upside down (suspended from the top plate)? Or will that screw with the gyros/Accelerometers? Just thinking that would possibly open up the options to not have to add unneeded items on the MR.

Corey

Corey,

Some controllers offer the ability to specify orientation of the FC in the heli so upside down would be an option but not the NAZA. The only one I actually know for sure isn't a FC but a gimbal controller, the Hoverfly GIMBAL.

I found a product at Lowe's called carpet tape, it's a thin, fabric, double-sided tape for binding carpet pieces together and for sticking it to the floor. I used it to tape the blue foam to the lower frame plate and the NAZA to the foam. It was strong enough that I was able to pick up the heli by the NAZA. I don't know how well it would hold long term as I've never used it before but I'm going to have a rubber band over the top of the NAZA to keep it from popping loose. I'll post pics when I finish it.

There's another video loading to youtube and it should be ready in a couple of hours.

Bart

Bartman

Video #4 is up

Hi everyone,

Video #4 is up on youtube. In it you'll see my dual battery mod as well as the basics of soldering. If anyone is new to soldering please don't take the brief review in the video as all you'll need to know. Youtube has a wealth of soldering tutorials and I'd recommend a little bit of time spent reviewing the lessons they offer.

The video also shows how an ESC is soldered to the lower frame plate/PDB. It's not shown in the video but I've used the battery pads provided on the frame for just the VU and an accessory power tap (two wires with a plug for future use if necessary).

I'll try to get one more video posted before the weekend and the video after that will likely be a final review before first flights. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Happy New Year Bart!!!

Excellent video and I love the tip you used for showing us how to use the power distribution board to allow for more flexibility! Another tip that was terrific for everyone on a budget is using the elastic bands around the pliers to act as a type of clamp....very slick! I have some questions regarding powering things such as LED's and a huge question on BECs but I will put that in the regular forum as it might get a bit off topic for the group build.

I am glad that I picked up two Flamewheels from ClubHeliRC because I am already going through potential mods for a future build! I'm still on the crutches so I have my wife bringing all the things from Amazon, HK, and Ebay down to my workshop downstairs. (Bless her heart) Once some of the other parts that I am still trying to decide on get here I should be able to start work!

Thanks again for the video!

Mike :)

Bartman

the metal pliers also work well to draw heat away from the joint after the soldering is done so it can cool down more quickly. this reduces the risk you'll move the wires and weaken the joint before the solder has fully solidified .

Thanks again. I've got to tweak that video a little and repost it but it's good for now.

Get better and be ready for the spring!

sledge57

I second the thanks for the tip on scraping away the paint to expose additional solder points, wish I knew that trick before I built mine but I'll use it when I add more wiring.

coreyperez

Well I figured I'd brag... Its what we do right? My Hobby King order (well 1 of 2) has arrived in Alaska, (x2 Lipo and x1 TX Lipo) which the wife is forwarding to me, awaiting the TX and a few other things to arrive from China to have the wife forward to me. Here is everything that arrived today, including x2 Server power supplies from Ebay and a receiver from Ebay. The rest was mostly from Atlanta Hobby and some misc. strobes/GoPro Hero interface from ReadyMade RC.

Its too bad, but I'm flying tomorrow so I'll have to wait until Friday evening to really get into his at all. I just laid it out, snapped a photo (or 5) and will have to inventory.

Off to the races!

Corey

Attachments

• 20140102_185456_resized.jpg
    20140102_185456_resized.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 250

jbrumberg

Good luck Corey, and thank you for your service. And thanks to all those servicepeople members for their services as well.

Bartman

thanks guys but credit goes to our fellow member MombasaFlash for the trick exposing copper to make new solder pads. I liked it so much I've been doing it ever since I saw his mention of it.

Corey...thanks for your service and that's a lot of stuff!

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Glad your stuff got there finally Corey! Where are you at in Korea?

I spent a ton of time at Osan and Kunsan AB from 1998-2002. Can't wait to see you get em up in the air. I am going the server PSU route as well! Still awaiting some connectors and wire off of eBay and then I will start the soldering!

Thanks for serving! It can be rough at times but well worth the satisfaction!

Mojave

I want to add the second battery cable set. What size and wire covering do I need to order for my F550 build?

Dezy

Thanks, again for this Bart!

Where did you get the "Blue Foam" you mentioned for mounting the FC?

Bartman

that blue foam is commonly used as insulation, i just happened to have some around the shop because it's also really good for carving and shaping when making plugs for composites molds. i think i cut it to 1/2" but would use 3/8" if I had to do it again.

I won't be posting an update until middle of next week as the next fews days are busy. you guys have some learning and trying to do anyway. i'll check in and see how things are going and try to answer any questions that might pop up.

Remember, if you get stuck, stop and ask questions.

Good luck!
Bart

coreyperez

Bart,

While "Base-lining" my motors I found a (what I think may be a significant difference) between some of my motors. I have 2 outliers. I have a .636 motor and a .655, where as the other 6 are right around .641 - .647 Should I be concerned about the two outliers?

Also, after watching the video you mentioned scraping off the material on the bottom for the extra power wires, I just expanded the ones on the top for my build.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Motor 1: .643
Motor 2: .641
Motor 3: .646
Motor 4: .644
Motor 5: .655
Motor 6: .647
Motor 7: .647
Motor 8: .636

So far this weekend I assembled my Zenmuse GoPro Gimbal, Landing gear/Gimbal assembly (a warning note should be included about friggin carbon fiber tubes...I mean razors!) bench checked my motors and base-lined them all, soldered the ESCs on (with shrink wrap/sleeve treatment). I'm holding off on the motors until I get my dynamic balancing equipment in and bench-balance them. I'm expecting to remove all the DJI stickers from the motors if they are unbalanced from the factory (As I've seen on videos). Tonight/tomorrow I'll static balance the stock DJI props to learn with, and just purchased some Graupner E-Prop 10x5's once I've beaten this thing into the ground a time or few.

Come on Hobby King, get me my GOODS!!!

Corey

Attachments

• Hex Build 094.jpg
    Hex Build 094.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 344
  • Hex Build 098.jpg
    Hex Build 098.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 279
  • Hex Build 081.jpg
    Hex Build 081.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 320
  • Hex Build 082.jpg
    Hex Build 082.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 318

Jeffnola

hey guys,

I am new to this site and to quadcopters. I have a small basically indoor heli that i have been playing around with but its too small to fly outside unless it's really calm with no wind, lost my first one in the trees. I am leaving for a cruise tomorrow but when I get back I am going to try and catch up to the group build. I have a ton of questions that I dont want to feel stupid asking but was wondering if you could maybe do a post at the top of this thread with the suggested components for this build with links so I can see exactly what you are talking about. maybe some compatible but cheaper versions of components. For example you mention the NAZA FCB but i dont really want to spend 300+ for my first build will the KK2.1 FCB be able to give similar performance? I know you are busy and have limited time but that would be very helpful. Also if there is anyone in the New Orleans, Louisiana area that could show me some tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

sledge57

Corey what exactly are you doing here, spinning motors with drill and measuring the voltage they make?

I've never seen anything about this (or I missed it).