Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

Ivo

http://www.dji.com/product/e310

Just good advertising or are these relevant features? I can buy a DJI 450 ARF with E300 kit included so I can follow your build thread. Or buy just the frame and add the new E310 system. Just wondering. David
I have a E300 system but I will purchase new motors because it's impossible to use "traditional" props with stock motors, it's a huge drawback. The same situation with E310

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
http://www.dji.com/product/e310

Just good advertising or are these relevant features? I can buy a DJI 450 ARF with E300 kit included so I can follow your build thread. Or buy just the frame and add the new E310 system. Just wondering. David

Hard to say David as I'm not very familiar with the whole E power system thing that DJI has been doing. I'll tell you this though, if it cost more money I'd go with the stock components and just get it done.

I have a E300 system but I will purchase new motors because it's impossible to use "traditional" props with stock motors, it's a huge drawback. The same situation with E310

I'm not a big fan of companies that force you into a relationship by using proprietary components. Something like the battery on a Phantom is helpful because a lot of people won't want to plug in connectors that can be difficult to separate and they certainly won't want to solder connectors on when they buy the wrong batteries but props? You'll find that once you're flying and have a feel for things you're going to want to experiment with EVERYTHING! It's a part of the addiction and when you see that you can't try different props you're going to feel boxed in (at least I would).

Don't the stock F450 ARF motors allow aftermarket props to be used anymore? They used to. The Tiger MT2212 motors have worked out really well on the F450 that I bought and I'd recommend them as a replacement for the stock F450 motors.

Efficiency claims are hard to verify so if the E systems are being sold on big efficiency gains then I'm instantly skeptical. Unless the stock motors are total garbage then that's a different story.

I think I've got four of the stock F450 motors in a box in my shop if anyone wants them...make an offer, there might be some props there also.

Bart

Ivo

Don't the stock F450 ARF motors allow aftermarket props to be used anymore? They used to. The Tiger MT2212 motors have worked out really well on the F450 that I bought and I'd recommend them as a replacement for the stock F450 motors.
Bart
They have special self-tightening props with integrated screw nut. Phantom Vision props are the same.
http://www.dji.com/topics/phantom-accessories#ppg
I tried to put on traditional prop but there is no place for nut because the screw is too short.
Regarding replacement motors the best option is Sunny Sky X2212 920 kV
http://www.banggood.com/4-X-SunnySky-X2212-KV980-Brushless-Motor-p-954481.html

Bartman

yup, there are a lot of options for motors.

i see what you're talking about, just went and looked at the ARF pictures. i'd stay away from the ARF now that they're using motors that have to have DJI props....better to learn how to select and mount props correctly than rely on DJI's hub and motor matching set up

2212 size with kv around 900 is a good target. 30A ESC's and 10" props and you're on your way

David1953

Thank you all for the reply. I didn't realize DJI's motors required their props. So I will buy the 450 frame, then go with your recommended motors and props. David

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Regarding replacement motors the best option is Sunny Sky X2212 920 kV
http://www.banggood.com/4-X-SunnySky-X2212-KV980-Brushless-Motor-p-954481.html
That one looks appealing, but there are more options, and I'm having a hard time deciding...

Motor Prop Volt Max curr. Thrust Power Efficiency
==================================================================================
Sunnysky V2216 900KV 10x4.7 14.8 21.4 A 1360 g 317 W 2.588 g/W
Sunnysky X3108S 900KV 10x3.8 14.8 29.7 A 1570 g 439 W 3.572 g/W
Sunnysky X3108S 900KV 11x4.7 14.8 33.4 A 1720 g 494 W 3.479 g/W
DYS BE2820 970KV 10x5 14.8 32.2 A 1910 g 476 W 4.012 g/W
DYS BE2814 800KV 10x4.7 14.8 20.2 A 1500 g 299 W 5.017 g/W

I think it is strange that the DYS BE2814 can give more thrust at less power with the same prop as the Sunnysky V2216 (they cost less too)...
Anyone know what's the equivalent motors from Tiger-motor or other supplier?

Edir: Grr, the formatting disappeard, but I think you get the point.

Bartman

the 2814 will require more thrust because they are heavier so the total weight will be higher

IMHO, 28XX motors are overkill for an F450 frame. IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
IMHO, 28XX motors are overkill for an F450 frame. IMHO.
For a F550 too?
I start to worry a bit of the AUW and flight time of my F550, so I'm looking for something more powerfull than the E300. The resaon I look at 28xx and even 31xx is the option to use extended arms and 11" props.

Bartman

IMHO, extending the stock F450/550 arms isn't a great idea. are you talking about entirely different arms or the extenders that go onto the ends of the stock arms? if you're changing out the arms altogether then this isn't really the thread to discuss that as it's a beginner thread where the build is emphasized over the prospect of planning for future use.

we're trying to keep it simple to keep the build moving forward rather than having all of the options in play which often leads to analysis paralysis

David1953

[QUOTE="Bartman, post: 198079, member: 2

we're trying to keep it simple to keep the build moving forward rather than having all of the options in play which often leads to analysis paralysis[/QUOTE]

And I am so afflicted :(

Bartman

f450 frame, Tiger MT2212 motors, Turnigy Plush 30A ESC's, Turnigy Nano-Tech 5000mah 4S 25-50C batteries, Graupner 10x5 or similar props (buy whichever you find that are plastic and cheap),

for a flight controller, either the DJI NAZA-V2, NAZe 32, or 3DR Pixhawk depending on how much tolerance you have for futzing with things.
DJI NAZA if you want to go with their H4-3D GoPro gimbal
Pixhawk if you want to have a lot of room for expansion and like digging into the more technical side of things
NAZE 32 if you think you might want to just do some fun flying and maybe FPV racing next (NAZE 32 is a popular racing board)

simple! start ordering stuff!

David1953

Very good! Thanks for prodding me along. My "only" delimma is the frame. Off topic, but I was set on a DJI 450 frame as your build went because of the combo deals available( frame+motors+ESC+NAZA v2) and was going to just figure out later how the heck to add FPV & maybe a GoPro. So now not going combo route I'm simply conflicted about changing the frame type to a 450 to 500 frame geared more to FPV stuff. I think I read somewhere these frames are referred to "dead cat" style frames. David

David1953

• DJI Flamewheel Motors with Graupner 10x5 or 9x5 E-Prop
  • Lumenier 3S 5200mAh or 4S 2500 - 5200mAh
  • Airtime between 8 and 15 minutes depending on drive train and battery system
Wonder why TBS suggests DJI motors with Graupner props if they wouldn't fit?

tstrike

pendejo grande
You're over thinking it. 9 inch graupners have a tapered hole and have to be reamed, the 10's are 8mm and need the reducer. 9's with 4s, 10's with 3s.
I'd still buy the flame wheel and if you don't have a horrible accident with it go for the disco frame later. Arms and motors go right over.
The disco's meant to be moving forward what with most of the weight being in the back. Some guys do amazing things with that frame but
it's limited to the disco pro for any kind of gimbal.

If I had a ranch and I wanted to fly over hill and dale to check fence lines, I'd look into either a wing with camera or a big slow flyer. More efficient, longer flight times, less equipment (1 motor!). I've seen video from a guy who put a feiyu tech 3 axis go pro gimbal on his wing and the stuff he captured look fantastic!

Put your real money into the best radio, the best charger, and the best soldering station you can afford. Those are the things that I always ended up having left over after the most heinous of crashes.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
IMHO, extending the stock F450/550 arms isn't a great idea. are you talking about entirely different arms or the extenders that go onto the ends of the stock arms? if you're changing out the arms altogether then this isn't really the thread to discuss that as it's a beginner thread where the build is emphasized over the prospect of planning for future use.

we're trying to keep it simple to keep the build moving forward rather than having all of the options in play which often leads to analysis paralysis
The simplest (and probably cheapest) solution is of course to stay with stock arms and just upgrade the motors to get more lift. However, stock arms limit the prop size and with the same prop size, the only way to get more lift is to pump in more juice into bigger motors. That's a poor tradeof because almost all lift you gain is is consumed by the need to lift larger batteries to get the same flight time. But if you can go up one prop size, you'll get a substantial increase in lift for the same power.

The extenders I've seen so far have not impressed me. AeroXcraft X55 aluminium arms on the other hand looks really good.

Bartman

Put your real money into the best radio, the best charger, and the best soldering station you can afford. Those are the things that I always ended up having left over after the most heinous of crashes.

agreed!

but if you can't afford the best don't let it stop you from jumping in with less expensive gear, imho. :)

David1953

f450 frame, Tiger MT2212 motors, Turnigy Plush 30A ESC's, Turnigy Nano-Tech 5000mah 4S 25-50C batteries, Graupner 10x5 or similar props (buy whichever you find that are plastic and cheap),

for a flight controller, either the DJI NAZA-V2, NAZe 32, or 3DR Pixhawk depending on how much tolerance you have for futzing with things.
DJI NAZA if you want to go with their H4-3D GoPro gimbal
Pixhawk if you want to have a lot of room for expansion and like digging into the more technical side of things
NAZE 32 if you think you might want to just do some fun flying and maybe FPV racing next (NAZE 32 is a popular racing board)

simple! start ordering stuff!

I'm not sure if out of stock is common, but I can't find a Flamewheel450 frame at any of the larger suppliers or a Tarranis radio. Maybe I've picked a bad time to order parts. David.
I don't trust eBay.

Ivo

I'm not sure if out of stock is common, but I can't find a Flamewheel450 frame at any of the larger suppliers or a Tarranis radio. Maybe I've picked a bad time to order parts. David.
I don't trust eBay.
I personally bought my Taranis radio in AliExpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...er-Radio-System-Set-Receiver/32223462891.html
Frame is also available:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/450-Flame-Wheel-RC-Quadcopter-Frame-Kit/2025127469.html

I also don't like Ali very much but if you can buy good product cheaper - why not.