Greetings From Rhode Island

AKCobra

Greetings everyone, another RC Noob here :nevreness:. I got into this stuff about 6 months ago when I saw an advertisement for the AR Drone. I bought one and have been having fun with it but lets face it, the AR Drone is like a gateway drug. Once you try it you just want more. I knew pretty quick after I started flying the drone that I was going to want to progress to a real RC quad, but since I knew absolutely nothing about RC I figured I'd best get reading & watching videos, So I've been practically living on youtube and RC Forums ever since.

Let me tell you, for those of you who came over from other type of RC aircraft and are commenting how daunting this stuff must be for a total noob, let me tell you.. IT IS! At first I had no idea what anybody was talking about. What the hell is a DJI Naza? ESC? Is that the escape key on my computer? Huh? Quadrino who? TX. RX. FPV. Spektrum. Futaba. Fatshark. Honest to Christ I thought I was reading Hebrew or something. Well, I know I've got a LONG way to go, but at least I'm starting to make sense of some of this stuff.

So anyway, my next step is to pick out a quad. I've already decided I'm going to get a RTF. I know that probably goes against the advice of some folks in here, but I think I really want to see how one is supposed to look and work before I try to build one myself. That being said I had to figure out a few important things, like how much money I want to spend and what quad I want to get. I looked at a lot of cheaper ones first. I started off with a Lotus T380 or the Rotor Concepts version HPQ1, but I heard their support is awful, and I read about too ESC problems with those quads, and all of the parts are proprietary so you need to replace everything to upgrade.

Then I looked at the I-Fly, but that one has ESC problems and support problems too, and I hear it's also a real pain to even get going for a supposed "RTF" package. I even considered an Arris M-450 from Hobbywing, but I was hardly able to find any information at all on that one, and I'm not ready to be a pioneer. Next I looked at the DJI Phantom, which I've heard a lot of really good things about. I'm a bit put off by the proprietary controller though, and that 300 meter range seems kind of limiting if you want to get into FPV.

As of now the Phantom is still in the running, but I've pretty much settled on a Witespy HT-450 with DJI Naza from Ready To Fly Quads. I've read lots of good things, both about the quad and about the merchant, and while it's the most expensive option of the ones I've looked at, I'm not rich enough to do this twice so I need to get it right. I won't be ready to purchase until early may, so in the meantime I'm going to continue researching and practicing with my AR Drone (flying with a PS3 controller set to Mode 2 so at least I can approximate somewhat flying with a real RC control) and RC Desk Pilot. I may even pick up a little Syma X1 for some practice with something that's not an AR Drone :nevreness:.

So that's my story so far. Hopefully before too long I'll own my first RC Quad, and I can begin the slow, painstaking process of learning to fly it!

Last edited by a moderator:

AKCobra

Thanks for the advice! My current plan is to get a witespy ht-450 with dji naza. I've heard lots of good things about them and they seem to be fairly priced for all you get.

I live in northern RI (Cumberland) although I'll be down in Narragansett for 2 weeks in July this summer.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I think Witespy are good from what I've read. I'm currently using a TBS Discovery (Team Black Sheep) with my Naza and think it's awesome, always puts a smile on my face anyway. :)

AKCobra

Discos are awesome, I'd love to get one of those sometime down the road when I'm ready to try a full build. Going to go rtf for the first one though, and from everything I've read witespy seems like one of the best options out there that's in my price range.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I see where you're coming from, once you see how your RTF is put together you'll know where everything goes and see how easy it is.

AKCobra

Exactly right. I don't have much electronics experience so starting off with one I know is put together right will give me a leg up, and a model to go by for future builds. And I'm sure I'll build up my electronics experience in the meantime the first time I crash it into a tree :)

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks for the advice! My current plan is to get a witespy ht-450 with dji naza. I've heard lots of good things about them and they seem to be fairly priced for all you get.

I live in northern RI (Cumberland) although I'll be down in Narragansett for 2 weeks in July this summer.

You're not far away from a bunch of people flying multis. I do a lot of flying at an AMA field in Mansfield MA which isn't that far from where you are. If you want to meet a lot of the locals one place would be this event coming up in May... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836300 and if you want to see what FPV is all about there's a bunch of us that get together a couple weekends a month and usually post the days and times here... http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?6872-Checking-in-from-Northeast-US the thread grows quickly so make sure to check the last pages towards the end of the week if you want to find out where and when the locals will be flying.

Ken

AKCobra

You're not far away from a bunch of people flying multis. I do a lot of flying at an AMA field in Mansfield MA which isn't that far from where you are. If you want to meet a lot of the locals one place would be this event coming up in May... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836300 and if you want to see what FPV is all about there's a bunch of us that get together a couple weekends a month and usually post the days and times here... http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?6872-Checking-in-from-Northeast-US the thread grows quickly so make sure to check the last pages towards the end of the week if you want to find out where and when the locals will be flying.

Ken

Thanks! That's awesome info, I bookmarked both threads. I'd love to go to that May event. I almost certainly won't have my new quad by then though (and wouldn't be experienced enough with it to take it to a meet anyway). Are AR Drones welcome, or would I be better off just going as a spectator?

jmorse9622

Heyyy, I've got a witespy HT-450 that I bought about a year ago. I like it alot but continue to work out the kinks and customize the switches. I'm in Richmond, RI.

AKCobra

Which version do you have, quadrino or naza? I got the naza version and overall it's been a great quad. Getting ready to order a flip Fpv this spring. Paul builds a great quad.