Greetings from Dayton, Ohio

Hey Everyone,

The name is Steve and last weekend during the annual Amateur Radio field day exercise, I got to see a really nice DIY quad with FPV flown around our operating location. So of course, I'm hooked. I occasionally fly little RC Helis, and I enjoy the challenge. I currently have several Blade models, but my favorite is my little fixed-pitch 120 SR. I have a DX6i, so over the weekend I picked up a little Blade 180 QX. I can see the appeal of these things! They lack the "turning-left-is-vastly-different-from-turning-right" quirk inherent to the physics of a single rotor craft, which sold me immediately... however, I haven't quite fully adjusted to this change yet.

In any case, I'm here to research builds for FPV multirotors. Hopefully, I'll be able to find most of what I need via search and won't ask too many newb questions. If anyone has any good threads to link me to for a complete "build" newb (glossary of terms, common frames, motors, ESCs, etc.) that would be helpful.

Thanks and Cheers!
Steve

Update, took the little 180QX over to the park to run a few batteries through this afternoon. Gusts of about 10MPH, which were difficult to fight in the high rate stability mode. So I got a little too big for my britches and switched from the high rate stability mode to agility mode. Suddenly it went bat-sh*t twitchy and was sideways falling out of the sky. Flipped the mix switch back to zero about 10 feet from the ground and it leveled off sat in a nice hover at about 1 foot off the ground. *phew*

The Moral of this story: A tiny little PCB is better at flying quads than me.

So my question for you is, how long did you practice in a stability mode before you were able to fly adequately in full manual control? Any other advice?

Edit: Reading through the F450 Group Build thread. Lots of useful information there. Thinking of maybe building an FPV MR based on the F450.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Welcome to the forum mate! We all learn at different rates. If you've had no RC experience before then it will take a few months to get the basics down. Practice practice! :nevreness:

Welcome to the forum mate! We all learn at different rates. If you've had no RC experience before then it will take a few months to get the basics down. Practice practice! :nevreness:

I have about a year experience flying fixed-pitch helis, although the end of last summer is the last time I flew. I can fly my 120 SR with the high-rate setting on the swash with no D/R or Expo just fine. I'd actually say agility mode on the 180 is a bit more difficult, or at least different enough that I can't yet do it successfully.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojave

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum; this is a good site. I started with no RC experience and it was slow for me. In my opinion to get the most out of the forum read as much as you can and learn how to search the MultiRotor Forums. My suggestion would be to read as many posts as you can. I might also suggest that you start here: http://www.multirotorforums.com/foru...ons-and-Lounge!!! it would be good to read the top items - "Understanding Lithium Polymer batteries", "Group Build, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!", "Multi-Rotor Heli abbreviations, acronyms, secret codes, etc.!". I hope this is not to basic since you have some knowledge already.

Cheers!