Hoverfly Green board horizon scrolling on Setup software.

Stacky

Im trying to help a local guy out with his HFP. Its one of the very first green boards with 2 dip switches. He bought it in an Octo from Kimberley at Photo Higher and has been using it for a while in a small quad.
I updated his firmware to the latest and then when checking everything noticed the horizon was scrolling over slowly in the setup software. I have successfully completed the temperature and accelerometer calibration but would like any thoughts on why the horizon indicator would be scrolling. It hasnt been flown as I was replacing the motors for him and saw this issue so am wary of testing it in flight. It passes the gyro and barometer tests.

Thanks
Mike

Razzil

I had the orientation done wrong in the setup. I was clickingyes when passed, but I had them done wrong. Not sure if that helps.

hoverben

Person of Interest
You will definitely need to re-do at least the accelerometer calibration. The scrolling horizon is very likely a symptom of this calibration being done incorrectly.

Stacky

Thanks Ben. The problem went away, kind of weird but while I was connecting and disconnecting the USB lead as I checked various things the problem seemed to resolve itself. Being one of the original green boards it had the twin dipswitch setup and that was a fiddly one to get the 2 switches to click over when going through the setup processes. It may have been related to that?. Good to know that its probably related to the accelerometer. Thanks Razzil as well. Now back to trying to get him flying after someone sold him the wrong motors recently.

Stacky

I have redone the temperature and accelerometer calibrations twice but still the same result. I will upload a video a bit later today. I also tried one of my black boards and redid the calibrations while in this setup and they work perfectly. I did this to eliminate the possibility its something in the build causing an issue. I believe this is the original layout of the green board with the twin dipswitches. I used to have a green board but it only had the single dipswitch. The board started out in an Octo which Photo Higher put together and the owner hasnt really flown the Octo at all. He crashed it early on and hasnt yet rebuilt the octo. The board was then put in to a smaller quad and the owner has been using this for taking still images with a gopro. However the frame he had and motors over time have probably had a few bad landings so the motors ended up with bent prop shafts and this induced bad vibrations. the owner has replaced the motors and asked me to check his wiring to the esc's etc. he complained of the quad not taking off level and having problems with liftoffs.
I have updated his firmware and noticed this problem when i was checking the calibrations etc.

Could this be a hardware problem now as the calibrations dont seem to fix the scrolling horizon indicator?. Could bad landings and crashes cause this problem?

One other thing I have noticed is that when I connect the power to the quad while in the setup fotware to check the radio channels the scrolling becomes faster and more pronounced, then it settles down to a slower scroll. The scrolling isnt only horizontal, it also goes to vertical as well.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Photronix

Pilot
This is strange. One thing that can happen is micro cracks in the inner layers of the board due to crashes. Also chips can begin to loose solid connection due to flexing during a crash.

Stacky

Thanks Al,
I have been running it in the setup for a while and reflashed the firmware a number of times as well as redoing the calibrations, my gut feeling is the board is past its best. I will tell Alan he needs a new board. Its had a few bumps and I see some of its pins have been bent slightly.

Last edited by a moderator: