Graupner 14" prop reviews?

jes1111

14x8 is way too high a pitch ratio for hovering - they will exhibit "pitch stalling" - too high an angle of attack for the airflow over them. :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
They sell them on Kopterworx site so i figured someone was using them. But that was what I thought the issue was. Sounds like multis like the smaller pitch so they dont respond so aggressively to rpm change as well.

jes1111

Yep - multis like low pitch props because it's the swept diameter that produces the hover lift, not the pitch per se. The pitch (a.k.a. angle of attack) compensates for high speed inflow of air, like on a fixed-wing aircraft that's travelling at high speed. High pitch props on a multi will actually respond slower to demands for increased rpm since they have greater drag (which is also why they'll pull more amps).

jes1111

I'm quoting the physics, not my own experience - and the physics is clear and indisputable. They'll fly, of course - the lift is proportional to the diameter, not the pitch. The consequence of blade stall (which will only happen near the root where the pitch is highest) will be reduced lift, i.e. 14" props may only produce the lift of, say, 12" props. But in terms of blade drag you'll be getting the full 14"-worth, so the overall efficiency will be very poor.

I'm not having a go at you, ddmt - but there is a strong tendency in this hobby for people to take the fact that one or two people do something and say it's okay/correct as endorsement for that "something" over and above the physics ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

ddmt

I'm quoting the physics, not my own experience - and the physics is clear and indisputable. They'll fly, of course - the lift is proportional to the diameter, not the pitch. The consequence of blade stall (which will only happen near the root where the pitch is highest) will be reduced lift, i.e. 14" props may only produce the lift of, say, 12" props. But in terms of blade drag you'll be getting the full 14"-worth, so the overall efficiency will be very poor.

I'm not having a go at you, ddmt - but there is a strong tendency in this hobby for people to take the fact that one or two people do something and say it's okay/correct as endorsement for that "something" over and above the physics ;-)

Nah, no hard feeling. I'm kinda "let's see what other people are using or testing and try to replicate myself" person. I never trust blindly what people are saying on web forums.