GPS signal above the Arctic Circle

I'm experiencing bad GPS signal here in Northern Sweden.
Calibrated the GPS a few times, and tried my F550 Naza GPS in several locations.

Anyone know if it has to do with where I'm located, or if might be placement of the GPS device or anything else?

Im in a town called Kiruna in northern Sweden, way above the arctic circle.

View attachment 6617

Attachments

• bild-6.jpg
    bild-6.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 273
Last edited by a moderator:

None of the GPS systems for Multicopters will work above the artic circle as stated in the Naza and WKM documentation. The GPS system is constrained by the laws of Physics:
a) line of site radio link to GPS satellites
c) calculations for GPS location beyond the reasonable limits for trigonometry etc.

I'm experiencing bad GPS signal here in Northern Sweden.
Calibrated the GPS a few times, and tried my F550 Naza GPS in several locations.

Anyone know if it has to do with where I'm located, or if might be placement of the GPS device or anything else?

Im in a town called Kiruna in northern Sweden, way above the arctic circle.

View attachment 8675

Did you ever get this to work??. I have a job in the high arctic and and was wondering if you can fly up there?

thanks

FB

You can still fly in attitude mode and LOS. Start with a close read of the DJI documentation.... I think it says something about GPS limitations above the arctic circle........Closer examination seems to indicates that GPS accuracy is greatly deteriorated there due to radio signal path bending as it travels thru the ionosphere....... which is highly energized there much of the time due to solar storms..... aurora borealis......etc. Also compasses don't work well there either.
Did you ever get this to work??. I have a job in the high arctic and and was wondering if you can fly up there?

thanks

FB

I have a client who is intending to take his Phantom to Baffin Island in less than a week. He'll be there for 2 weeks and is intending to fly in -30~-40 Celsius. I've strongly advised him against this due to the cold on the electronics, reduced battery life and static build up. Not to mention the possible prop breakage due to the cold. But still he insists on taking his little toy there anyways. Is there anything he can do to secure greater chances of successful flights.

To make matters worse, he's one of documentary types who thinks anyone can and should fly these, he's a total newbie with more money than sense. He's destroyed a brand new Cenestar 6 into the ground, and then dunked a phantom into water while trying fly inside a cave. He is hoping I can fix the phantom and zenmuse for him before he heads up to the arctic.

Besides the things I've pointed out above, are their other concerns I should make him aware of.