Hoverfly gps results

octocine

Well after scaring myself one too many times flying farther away than I probably should, I decided to take the gps plunge. The install was not too bad, but I was sure cursing that two position dip switch that you invariably have to reset, especially now that it's hidden beneath the gps board. The good news is that Position Hold works as advertised and the helicopter drifts smoothly in about a ten foot circle. The slew commands with elevator and aileron worked nicely and Return Home worked well, bringing it home at a comfortable speed.

I set the failsafes on my Spektrum DX8 for auto level, altitude hold and return home. Has anyone with GPS had the nerve to turn off the radio to see if it really will return if you lose the signal?

CdA D

Well after scaring myself one too many times flying farther away than I probably should, I decided to take the gps plunge. The install was not too bad, but I was sure cursing that two position dip switch that you invariably have to reset, especially now that it's hidden beneath the gps board. The good news is that Position Hold works as advertised and the helicopter drifts smoothly in about a ten foot circle. The slew commands with elevator and aileron worked nicely and Return Home worked well, bringing it home at a comfortable speed.

I set the failsafes on my Spektrum DX8 for auto level, altitude hold and return home. Has anyone with GPS had the nerve to turn off the radio to see if it really will return if you lose the signal?

Yes, check out YouTube.com. I searched octocopter, because I fly one. Maybe Wookong-M failsafe.

Last edited by a moderator:

octocine

Looks like I spoke too soon! After some great test flights in the back yard yesterday, I took my CS8 out for some filming this morning - not intendign to use gps at all. I noted a blue signal on the gps before taking off over a braided river and large pond. Unfortunately it soon became clear that the elevator and aileron controls were not working even remotely as they should. When I pulled the stick back to return, the heli moved to the left. With rapidly escalating pulse, I decided to try the "return home" option and was relieved to see it return. When it returned to the launch site I made the mistake of not landing immediately still in RH mode and switched off the gps. The helicopter banked quickly away, so I hit RH again, but this time it did not respond at all. I realized that the controls had completely changed direction, but I was able to stop the flyaway, by almost reversing the controls and land it. I went to a nice flat field and confirmed the same thing in several additional flights. Again, nothing changed since it worked fine yesterday. Throttle and rudder worked fine. Elevator and Aileron did not. Any ideas? I'm baffled. GPS signal was blue in all flights and I did not use the gps function in the last two flights, but elevator and aileron still almost backwards. All switches and controls appear to be working as intended in the setup client. All calibrations were done yesterday.

E

exmachina

Quick update: I pulled the GPS board and it flies perfectly once again. Anybody have any suggestions?

Maybe buy a WooKong?

Just kidding. Unexplained fly-aways are never fun. Did you contact HF?

octocine

I did contact HF and they're certainly trying to help, which is appreciated, but we did not resolve the issue. I don't have plans to put it back on any time soon....

CdA D

Don't know what else you can do at this time, but be patient and see what HF comes up with. They were good when I had an issue with the camera gimbal control board.