GPS pirouette

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Has anyone been able to get the DJI F550 to stay in the same spot while doing a pirouette when in GPS mode? My F550 hold quite will in GPS mode but wonders halfway through a pirouette. I carefully measured the GPS placement in regards to the CG and I think I got it right on.

Will

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Has anyone been able to get the DJI F550 to stay in the same spot while doing a pirouette when in GPS mode? My F550 hold quite will in GPS mode but wonders halfway through a pirouette. I carefully measured the GPS placement in regards to the CG and I think I got it right on.

Will

Won't happen except under perfect conditions like a perfectly balanced multi and zero wind and even then it's a maybe. The problem is the GPS senses the movement and has to recompute the coordinates as its moving to try and keep the aircraft in place, the update process simply isn't quick enough while doing an in-place piro to prevent it from wandering. If you've driven a car with GPS and passed where it wanted you to turn, you've seen how long it can take to recalculate where you are and where you need to go, same idea with doing a piro with GPS position hold on a multi, civilian grade GPS just isn't fast enough to do the job of keeping it in exactly the same spot as it rotates especially if there are external forces working against it like wind or the CoG being off. I've found there's a better chancce of doing in-place piros with a well setup quad or hex using just autoleveling in low wind conditions, there's no GPS influence pushing it off center as it tries to compensate.

Ken

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Perfect answer!

That really helps. I noticed that I get better pirouettes in attitude mode only. Now I know why I don't get great pirouettes in GPS. Thanks RTRyder!

Bison52

I gave up on perfect yaws in GPS pretty quickly. Figured it was just like Naza drift, something that would drive you crazy unless you just learned to live with it.