GPS on a building site

hazardpro

Taking some photographs on a building site at the weekend. Just wondered if its ok to fly in GPS mode?

There will be a lot of metal/crains/construction around but is that only a issue when calibrating the compass?

Running: S800/Wookong/GPS

Thanks

D

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Could be dodgy. Stick to manual.
Are there lots of tell buildings around a well?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

hazardpro

Hey Jake

Yes... But we have about 80-meters of open space in all directions.

We could fly in Atti (I wouldn't fly in Manual on this job though...) Ideally we wanted to use GPS to hold position as we need to take accurate pictures.

Might try getting GPS lock on the ground from all locations. If we get it on the ground id hope we should be ok in the air.

My main concern was 'interference rather than losing satellites. I know when you calibrate you need to be away from metal etc. but wasnt sure about just flying with GPS.

D

CrashMaster

The issue with the GPS hold is not the large medal structures it is high voltage interference so I have no doubt there will be no difficulty at all. If you notice too much drift just correct it or go to Atti mode.
As for calibration of your compass you only have to do that if you move a significant distance from where you last calibrated it so will probably not need to calibrate it on site. I fly 80 miles from home and don't re-calibrate and have never had an issue. I also have never had to do it naked either... I always have my mobile on me, car keys, TX, watch and pocket full of small change, belt, underwear etc.... This has never caused a problem.

iceman

As for calibration of your compass you only have to do that if you move a significant distance from where you last calibrated it so will probably not need to calibrate it on site. I fly 80 miles from home and don't re-calibrate and have never had an issue.

Did my BNUC-S flight test more than 200miles from my point of compass calibration with no problems at all regarding GPS/compass fix/heading. I was under the impression that you only need to calibrate your compass if you change your hardware config or add new hardware to you multi.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Metal or certain types of metal FERROUS METAL (Containing Iron) will have an affect on Compass calibration, it should not affect how the GPS works. Compass is used for direction, so if you are hovering in GPS mode, I do not see why it would matter what was around you.

The only thing you should be concerned with is the NAZA might throw up a fault, or it may not. Never calibrate your Compass near anything like steel, as it could contain iron of which is magnetic for obvious reasons. Always calibrate well away from structures, buildings, cars, cellphone towers and so forth.