Good Video, Unfortunately....

cootertwo

Sledge57, I agree 100% I wish that video was on the national news. Also noticed, how nice the video is from the Phantom, compared to the other 2, especially the $100,000.000 job.

econfly

I'll be blunt. This is self-serving propaganda. Ex-post rationalization is not unique here, but it is evident. Guys who fly want to justify their actions and offer up every excuse they can think of: comparison to manned flights ("would you shoot down a helicopter?"), FAA and airspace rules ("you don't own the air over your property"), claims of technology limitations ("we can't see you, the camera is wide angle"), etc. The end of this video, comparing the choice of sharing personal information ("Facebook") to the absence of choice when some neighbor is flying over your house is just ridiculous.

A sense of entitlement combined with myriad excuses is not going to endear the "drone" flying community to the rest of the world. Furthermore, being "right" (e.g., with respect to airspace rules or limitations) is not enough.

Do the decent thing and don't fly over private space without permission. Certainly don't fly over a residence at low enough altitude to be shot with a shotgun. By the way, for those not familiar, the effective reach of birdshot is very limited. If your drone can be taken down by a shotgun then it's guaranteed to be relatively close to the shooter (well within 100 yards, with 50 yards as a practical range).

sledge57

I'll be blunt. <<<<SNIP>>>>.

I agree with some of this (the Facebook crap especially) but you could fly at 100 to 200 feet over your own property and have a neighbor get his panties in a bunch and try to shoot down your MR.

Also since the story came out I've heard from a number of people I personally know who think it should be fine to shoot down "drones" and claim they will if they have the chance. The interesting part is these people I know all have something to hide (like their pot fields)

I'll bet a lot of people who are so paranoid about "drones" have a reason to be paranoid also.....

Vermiform

....If your drone can be taken down by a shotgun then it's guaranteed to be relatively close to the shooter (well within 100 yards, with 50 yards as a practical range).

50 yards is 150 feet if we are talking altitude directly overhead though. That's a pretty good distance away right?

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
If your drone can be taken down by a shotgun then it's guaranteed to be relatively close to the shooter (well within 100 yards, with 50 yards as a practical range).

All it takes is a single pellet to crack a wooden prop, though, even at a longer range. As multirotors become more common I'm afraid we're going to see even more of this.

I'm an avid shooter myself and there's a very disturbing number of people cheering on things like this across the internet on gun forums. More "shoot first, ask questions later" emotional responses than I've ever seen before.

Vermiform

All it takes is a single pellet to crack a wooden prop, though, even at a longer range. As multirotors become more common I'm afraid we're going to see even more of this.

I'm an avid shooter myself and there's a very disturbing number of people cheering on things like this across the internet on gun forums. More "shoot first, ask questions later" emotional responses than I've ever seen before.

To be honest, this time last year....I was one of them.......

econfly

I see the same on other forums. This is why I think "drone" flyers need to reach out a bit to friends and neighbors, and not in a condescending or defensive way -- or even in a logical way that fails to address concerns (even if based on fallacy). The whole "I can't see in your windows because my camera is wide angle" argument is not going to win us any friends.

I've said for a long time that this attitude of "I'll fly if I want and nobody owns the air over their house" is not going to end well. The number of people who will fear or distrust the technology (or will just be annoyed) is far greater than the number of flyers out there.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
^ Education is the only way. Any time someone is curious or suspicious, give them a bright smile, invite them to watch the monitor or try on the goggles, explain bits and pieces, show your passion for it. Tell them about the rules and regulations already in place and make it obvious that you follow them and that others do too. Distance yourself from the people who are unsafe.

It'll work out eventually. We have a long, rough road ahead of us though....

To be honest, this time last year....I was one of them.......

I'm glad you've come around :)

cootertwo

I was doing some FPV yesterday, while sitting inside my screened patio, flying around my yard (1 acre). I heard some noise next door, sounded like my neighbor crushing beer cans, so I flew over to have a look see. We get along, and he knows I fly all the time. He saw my rig, and waved, I did a couple wiggles back and forth, flew out his driveway onto the street, and back into my yard. Today I was testing position hold on an APM setup, and he came out to see. I demonstrated how the GPS lock works, (trying to drag the drone away from it's spot), he was amazed. Then I told him that yesterday, when I flew over to his property, I was actually sitting in my patio. He said "no way", so I told him next time I get it out, I'll bring my spare set of goggles, and knock on his door, and show him what it's all about. He said he's thinking about buying a drone! Also I got a guy down the street hooked, but he bought one of those $100 toys from Sam's club. It's got away from him once already. I had to explain to my neighbor, the difference between a $100 toy, and a $500 multirotor. "Times, they are a changing":)

Vermiform

Attachments

• folded.jpg
    folded.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 136

Vermiform

For some reason with the name of MadMonkey and being from Texas, I kinda had a weird feeling you owned a Saiga.

Vermiform

American ammosexuals and their guns...just stunning.
I always read comments like that on the net from folks across the pond. Funny how their attitude changes when they visit me and I slide one of my AKs into their hands. Their eyes always light up like it's Christmas. Just sayin.....................;)

You do realize you're living in a Police state there, don't you Sparky??

We are definitely on our way there, no doubt! Sadly, I don't see anything reversing that course any time soon until the bottom falls out. Please let us enjoy our toys in peace while we can still have them. Don't be hatin' on ours just because they took yours already. :D