Good beginner LiPo charger.

I didn't see anything specific to this so I figured I would place a post for it. Didn't want to keep bogging down the group build with charger stuff.

Can somebody recommend a store bought/ UL rated 4S charger with a built in power supply that would be suitable for somebody just getting into the hobby something well-built and simple would be very helpful for us noobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

I am sorry as to how I described "charger with a built in power supply". That was my error in description. I can not make any recommendations. I use a iCharger 106B+ and a separate power source.

I am sorry as to how I described "charger with a built in power supply". That was my error in description. I can not make any recommendations. I use a iCharger 106B+ and a separate power source.

Thanks jbrumberg! Still on my quest for info. Every bit helps.

mbowser

I use the accucel 6 charger and am a complete noob. It's reasonably priced and seems to do the job. I have 3s lipos but it will balnce charge a range up to 6s. My only complaint is there is no user manual, but I was able to find several YouTube tutorials on Inge that got me going.

I'll second the iCharger 106b. If I were to start over from scratch, I'd skip over spending any money on a charger with a built in power supply and go straight to a DC charger with external power supply. The only time that an AC charger was handy for me is while traveling. I took several production trips last year with a phantom in a roller case and the entire quad kit plus charger fit into one box. If you're planning to use 4s batteries on your rig, an AC charger will get you around 80 watts or 6amps. You will quickly hit the limitations of that charger, especially if you want to parallel charge later.

Check out this website and you'll be fully comfortable skipping over an AC charger.
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-battery-chargers.html

Sledge what battery do you normally charge with that unit? The only thing I'd like to do is have the ability to charge two batteries at once.

jbrumberg

After I look at the cost of this unit, a 106B+ and a separate power supply source starts to look good as to price.

Bartman likes the hitec x2-400 but has suggested that it might me too much power in the hands of a noob. He's suggested to go with something small that will do the job that can be used as a spare down the road. I just need a charger that I can handle and grow into that can charge 4cell 5000-6000mah batteries to fly a dji550

I'm still unsure what to do so I'm gonna sit tight and continue to read up til I'm comfortable. I haven't started the build yet so I have plenty of time to decide.

By all means we should continue to figure this out so it can be helpful for others getting into the hobby (and that are overwhelmed by the charger options)

Would be helpful for a sticky (maybe Bartman?) on the topic of charging.

Then at the top of the beginners lounge you would have the group build, LiPo basics, abbreviations and charging. Seems to me like a good foundation. Bartman's stuff is super helpful, clear and written in lay terms. Just wish he'd write a book already :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/ Although this site is basically an advertisement and promotion for some books and specific brands, but it will direct you to a lot of good information on lipo batteries and chargers. I bought the heli eBook "Beginer's Guide" about a year ago and it was really helpful. Like I said it has a lot of really good information. The author has expanded his site to include quadcopters; again brand specific. Good luck on your research.

Flydigital

I use a Turnigy 420 charger. Too new to all this to know how good it is but does the job. A basic set up but you need to get separate power supply. Typical Dell laptop power brick or similar.

Hey jbrumber, which power supply do you use with your 106B+?

jbrumberg

I use a modified Mean Well S-350-15. I believe it was originally intended for European markets (220V?) and got modified for the USA as to input voltage (110V?). It has worked for me, so far without any problems.