Glad to see this!

psjoholm

Hey everyone!

Glad to see this sub forum, just found it:)

I live in the infamous no fly zone, in Ellicott City.

I got into quads at Christmas with a Dronium Two and have a CX-10A arriving later today.

I know those are all toy grade, aril leaening, but I have been itching to pull the trigger on a racer. Just haven't been sure if I would find people to race with around here.

Anywho, going to start ordering some parts soon, starting with a Devo TX most likely next week.

What size is everyone running here in MMR? 180, 210 OR 250? I really have my eye on building a LS-210, but I am open for recommendations so I can race with fellow flyers from MD:)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Welcome! Toy quads are a good way to start but the learning curve will start when you get into the DIY drones. There is a wealth of information on the web and here. So if you have any questions please ask. When it comes to transmitters you really do get what you pay for. I do not know much about the Devo TX's so I can not say if they are good or not. Usually when looking for TX's try to buy more than you need. The reason behind this is so you have a radio you can grow into. By all accounts don't go buy a top of the line Futaba if it doesn't meet your budget. A good radio to start with is the FrSky Taranis. This radio give you the ability to have many channels (16 on SBUS, 8 on PWM) you can also double up their RX's to get more channels. The taranis also has a JR module slot in the back to upgrade to UHF or any other frequency you come along. This gives you major flexibility from using the built in 2.4ghz for park flying then swap to UHF for long range if you ever get into it. The TX also works with race band transmitters. One more thing is that the firmware is open source which in my book is a major plus. Programmed and build for the community, maintained by the community and frequent updates.

Another good brand is Tactic which I use as well and the range is very good on the transmitters. Do as much research on TX's before you buy one and make an informed decision. After all the TX is your link to the drone and you want it to be as good as what your budget can afford. You also want one that will last for years without having to upgrade. A good TX is by far the most important investment for this hobby.

Fly Safe!

Last edited by a moderator:

psjoholm

Thanks jmoore! The Devo's are very customizable and have open source firmware available. The reason I like the Devos are due to the fact that they can handle many different protocols and there are many diy projects to make them exactly what you want. Check out:
http://deviationtx.com

For the protocol support.

Love the idea that it will control my toy grades and also whatever else I end up buying.

I would love a Taranis, and most likely will get one eventually, but I must start a little less expensive first:)
Going to give myself 2 to 3 months to go through buy all the parts. I want to be racing by spring!

Hey psjoholm,
We fly 210 to 250 size quads.
Once all of this snow clears we will start getting together to fly and start having some races. Always good to start flying with something less expensive, just learn how to fly Line of sight with the quad in every orientation and once your comfortable step up to the mini quads, they are a blast! If you have any questions I would be happy to help you out. Also most of us on MMR live in glenburnie/severn and area and one guy up in laurel.

Take care

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

psjoholm

Thanks William. I've been a busy bee ordering parts. I have the following in the mail

GEP210 frame
DYS 1806 2300KV
DYS 12amp ESCS
F3 Board
Devo 7e tx
Bunch of 5045 props

Just missing the rx, batteries and charger.

Will order the FPV gear next month.

Looking forward to getting build on!