Gimbal options...

SkyDyno

HI all...

I've been thinking about gimbals and the ability to rotate (Pan?)

I've seen http://www.brushlessgimbals.com/p/8...ith-alexmos-controller---fully-assembled.html

So, my questions are:-

1. Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

2. I have a stock F550 with Naza v2 - Does this connect in anyway to the Naza or does it have it's own stabilisation controller?

Any help, advice and opinions of it would be welcome....

Once again thanks for your time and help...

JCcreative

That one looks pretty cool for the price. Heres a link to some more info on that one: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2059104
With any gimbals not made by DJI they have their own control boards and you can plug in servo leads directly to your receiver for manual control.

I've heard good things about this one: http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-cm3000-gopro-hero3-brushless-motor-gimbal.html but its definitely more expensive.

Let us know if you end up getting one, i'd love to know how good it is!

chipwich

That one looks a little on the heavy side which will be an issue with the stock motors/props on the 550. I am running a Tarot and wouldn't want anything heavier. Go for the lightest one possible.

The gimbal controller function on the NAZA is for gimbals with servos, not brushless motor gimbals. Brushless gimbals usually have their own controller boards, or you will need to add one if it doesn't. However, in DJI Assistant, you can set your gimbal pitch gains to zero, plug the pitch control lead from the gimbal controller into the F2 port on the NAZA. Then program a channel for X1 (outputs on F2) in the Assistant software and you can control pitch via the NAZA, if you are using S-Bus or PPM receiver. If you are using PWM input from the RX, just patch your pitch control lead from you brushless controller directly to a port on your RX. Some RX allow both, so for instance on a Futaba receiver that I am using with a NAZA via S-Bus (D-Bus in DJI speak), using a single cable from RX to NAZA at port X2, but going from the controller to the RX on another port. Sort of a hybrid mode.

JCcreative

I wouldnt trust the links online for the weight, theres a few different sites that have that gimbal and all of them have different weights. I bet its aorund 300 grams, which is a little heavy.
The arris gimbal i posted a link to is only 246g which is only 10 grams heavier than the DJI h3-2d.

JCcreative

Yeah, if you're just wanting a 2 axis gimbal instead of a 3 axis, go for the tarot!
They're a great little piece of kit. And really, you dont need a 3 axis on a 550. just pan around by turning the 550.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Sorry my bad, missed the three axis bit but pretty useless unless you plan on using a retracting landing gear.

Pete

SkyDyno

Thanks for all the input, guys, keep it coming...

Yeah, if you're just wanting a 2 axis gimbal instead of a 3 axis, go for the tarot!
They're a great little piece of kit. And really, you dont need a 3 axis on a 550. just pan around by turning the 550.

And there lies the crux of the problem.... No matter how smoothly or slowly I rotate it, I end up with unwanted side to side "wobble"... I gently move the stick, she rotates around, I gently centre the stick..... and then, for no apparent reason, she'll rotate back some small random amount as you centre the stick... but not every time.

Sorry my bad, missed the three axis bit but pretty useless unless you plan on using a retracting landing gear.

Pete

I am looking at retracs for it. Removing all of the existing undercarriage, relocating the battery, and fitting new legs.

So.. something like a 3 axis with a follow forwards function to smooth out the rotate, and to also allow me to control the rotation separately may be my way forwards...

From the RCGroups link above, Weight (minus GoPro) seems to come in at 235g (+45g for additional fittings if used).