Gimbal for SkyJib and DSLR

dazzab

I've been trying to get a Copter Frames Aura gimbal to on my SkyJib X4 without much success. It just doesn't seem to have the power to keep the camera stable. I'm using an AlexMos controller with it. The Nikon D600 camera/lens weight is 1150 grams.

Anyone have any recommendations for a two axis gimbal that I don't have to spend hours mucking around with and works reliably? I'd prefer not to splash out for a Zenmuse as my budget is about half of what they cost. But if that's all that will do the job and what people recommend I'll rob a bank or something. Maybe not eat for a few months. I need to loose some weight anyway.

If I do end up going with a Zenmuse can I use it with the Nikon D600? I really don't want to have to buy a Canon just to match the gimbal.

Thanks.

Vortex

Looking at your gimbal I'd think it should carry the D600 without too much trouble.

The most important thing with any of these brushless gimbals is to get the camera balance as close to absolutely perfect as possible. That way the motors don't need to work as hard and if you have small motors they are able to move a relatively high mass without too much trouble.

The next thing is to set up the Alexmos board slowly.....Start off with low power, say 50, and the PIDs set to 0........Work on 1 axis at a time. Next increase all the PIDs to a very low number 1 for the P and D and 0.01 for the I, then increasing the D value followed by the P then the I value until you get it right. If any of the P or D values are higher than 30, increase the power setting and reduce the P and D then work your way up again......Repeat if necessary.

I'm sure you'll get it working. They are tricky things to set up but you need to persevere with it to get it right.

Regards,

Lance

I've been trying to get a Copter Frames Aura gimbal to on my SkyJib X4 without much success. It just doesn't seem to have the power to keep the camera stable. I'm using an AlexMos controller with it. The Nikon D600 camera/lens weight is 1150 grams.

Anyone have any recommendations for a two axis gimbal that I don't have to spend hours mucking around with and works reliably? I'd prefer not to splash out for a Zenmuse as my budget is about half of what they cost. But if that's all that will do the job and what people recommend I'll rob a bank or something. Maybe not eat for a few months. I need to loose some weight anyway.

If I do end up going with a Zenmuse can I use it with the Nikon D600? I really don't want to have to buy a Canon just to match the gimbal.

Thanks.

You better get a getter way car and go to the bank mate, Only joking. If your up for setting up the Alex Moss and taking time and some brain ache just keep on it mate lots of people have them working great.
Me personally sell you camera and gimbal and get a Z15 they still have some problems but they work so well on keeping footage still and no setting up for hours, days, weeks, months just install on the aircraft fly n film. I have a Z15 Nex5r cheapest and lightest option at the time Feb 2013.

tombrown1

Zen is the best and easiest to set up. Cant use your Nikon on it though. Also its 3 axis so youll need retracts to pan the zen.

I don't have retracts but i still get great footage with the set up i have, I just don't pan 360* I get about 60* left and right before my landing legs coming onto the shot.

dazzab

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've spent a fair amount of time with the setup but every time I think that I have it right, it just doesn't perform well while flying. It does seem that this gimbal configuration requires a very specific configuration of gains vs power settings. It doesn't take much to really upset it. There was a time that it worked reasonable but after a rebuild following a crash and changing the controller I haven't had a lot of luck with it. I made some changes last night that look promising. When the wind dies down I'll go for a flight and let you know how it goes. Cheers.

dazzab

Here's a sample video taken today with the SkyJib, Aura gimbal and Nikon D600. I think that I have the stabilisation working ok on both roll and pitch axis but there's a jitter that I don't know how to eliminate. Bluerex suggested I go with an IOS lens but unfortunately Nikon doesn't have a prime OIS wide angle. It looks like only Canon has a wide prime IOS, the 24mm. I'm not quite sure where to go from here so any suggestions would be welcomed as to how I can get smoother results.

Last edited by a moderator:

ary

D700 are too heavy for this type of gimbal
You might (slightly) get better result from your existing gimbal. But if you do more aggresive flight/moving during high winds you need better structure(biger motor gimbal, rigid frame).

Ary

Here's a sample video taken today with the SkyJib, Aura gimbal and Nikon D600. I think that I have the stabilisation working ok on both roll and pitch axis but there's a jitter that I don't know how to eliminate. Bluerex suggested I go with an IOS lens but unfortunately Nikon doesn't have a prime OIS wide angle. It looks like only Canon has a wide prime IOS, the 24mm. I'm not quite sure where to go from here so any suggestions would be welcomed as to how I can get smoother results.

Attachments

• P1080303.jpg
    P1080303.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited by a moderator:

dazzab

D700 are too heavy for this type of gimbal
You might (slightly) get better result from your existing gimbal. But if you do more aggresive flight/moving during high winds you need better structure(biger motor gimbal, rigid frame).
Ary
I agree but the Aura is sold as supporting a Canon 5D MkII which is the same weight as the Nikon D600 at 850gm.