Gimbal Choice Help- Photoship One's 3X Pro v2?

drsf

Howdy all

Fairly new here (to the forums as well as multicopters), so please excuse any amateurism :cold:

I'd like to, if possible, get some insight into the whatever anyone may know about the quality of Photoship One's 3X Pro V2, relative to similarly available models. It seems to me that other models hold popularity around here, namely AV and Picloc models. Are there an obvious performance reasons for this?

To give a general idea, the project I am involved with involves mounting the stabilization gimbals (as of this stage Photoship One's 3X Pro V2) to a custom made Arduino-based hexacopter. Considering just the payload at this stage, we a involved in mounting a LiDAR sensor and some stereographic GoPro's to achieve hopefully some quality recordings.

With that in mind, if anyone is kind and willing enough to help out with recommendations I'll be glad to reveal more on the project as it develops!

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi Dan,

I think that camera gimbal might work fine but it will probably be very limited in its ability to be flown beyond a stable hover. That single mounting point might work OK when you're hovering in a light wind but I'd bet the mount will swing pretty good once the heli starts trying to fly or hold its ground in gusty winds especially as you load it up with gear. The weight becomes cantilevered on that mounting point as the heli rolls and pitches so it takes a lot to keep it stable when the wind starts blowing.
At 1.3 lbs. it's very light for a 3 axis mount.
My original MKTR mount (now deceased :( ) was advertised as suitable for a T2i/550D but there was barely room for cables and the camera had to be removed to get to the SD card and battery. All I'm trying to say is, take a close look at dimensions and the equipment you plan to mount to it before pulling the trigger. If the gear fits, that's great. If it fits but it's too tight to be useful, then it's an expensive mistake.
Good luck with it.
Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

drsf

@Bartman

Appreciate that.
I see the predominant issue to be linear (inclusive of vibrational) instability; my optimisms tell me that this model will not sell me short on rotational stability. Having said that, customization measures will likely take place in the mounting department - I see the model as an expensive template to improve on. This I assume reduces the importance of dimensional accuracies.
Also in terms of the copter itself, it will be quite sizable (1.5m diameter), so I imagine this alone will have the potential to effect sweep...

The other issue I wanted to touch on is the (dis?)advantages of having the gear controlled pitch, as opposed to the belt (as I have seen on many models presented around here). Initially I assume the only difference would be effective gearing ratio, although perhaps the belt lends itself to improved resolution? Any thoughts?

-Dan