GH4 Rig Recommendations

PMaughan

I have mixed feelings about the GH4 zen. It really is very good but can be incredibly frustrating when on location, what works one day doesn't work the next. I think if you're going for a s900 or 1000 then go for the Zen and you probably will get a good one, then happy days.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Racer,
You need to 1st define what you intend to do when flying the GH4. Next- size or weight restrictions. Flight Time. Flight Style. Easily packed down for airline travel? Lens requirements.
The aircraft configuration (Hexa, Octo, XY8) is user preference as all can be configured to fly a GH4. You will get 10 different opinions from 10 different people on their preferred airframe configuration.
Once you define all of your needs and intended uses, then many on this forum can offer opinions.
Gimbals.... That's a whole new topic.....

Racerx1962

Andrew,

It will be for commercial purposes. More specifically, low altitude video shots of automobile dealerships, real estate, property inspections and promotional videos for various clients. I'm looking for 12 to 15 minute flight times, with most of the shoots being slow steady, non aggressive maneuvers. As such, I don't need a 30kg lifter... I'm looking for something in the 7 to 12kg AUW range. While I would try to avoid flying in heavy winds, I would want to be able to handle 15 to 18mph gusts.

I'm looking to build 3 platforms... with one of the units that can be packed for travel. Lenses will include the Rokinon 12mm, and the Lumix 12-35 and 14-45mm. As for the gimbal, I will be flying a GHT Pro gimbal with the Phobotic CP.

Motors I'm considering include the KDE 4014s, Avroto 3520s and Sunnysky 4010s (budget model); ESCs Hobbywing Platinum Pros or the new Xrotors; SuperX flight controller or the Naza V2.

I like the simplicity of a quad and the redundancy of an X8. I'm thinking I need a wheelbase of 800 to 1100mm.

Yup & you can have pretty much any combination of shape (hex, quad, coax-quad etc & convert some fairly easily if you decide to change), motors, ESC's, FC, & quick mount gimbal plate.
TBH wish I'd built one myself instead of this Align :rolleyes:

Av8Chuck

Andrew,

It will be for commercial purposes. More specifically, low altitude video shots of automobile dealerships, real estate, property inspections and promotional videos for various clients. I'm looking for 12 to 15 minute flight times, with most of the shoots being slow steady, non aggressive maneuvers. As such, I don't need a 30kg lifter... I'm looking for something in the 7 to 12kg AUW range. While I would try to avoid flying in heavy winds, I would want to be able to handle 15 to 18mph gusts.

I'm looking to build 3 platforms... with one of the units that can be packed for travel. Lenses will include the Rokinon 12mm, and the Lumix 12-35 and 14-45mm. As for the gimbal, I will be flying a GHT Pro gimbal with the Phobotic CP.

Motors I'm considering include the KDE 4014s, Avroto 3520s and Sunnysky 4010s (budget model); ESCs Hobbywing Platinum Pros or the new Xrotors; SuperX flight controller or the Naza V2.

I like the simplicity of a quad and the redundancy of an X8. I'm thinking I need a wheelbase of 800 to 1100mm.

I think an X8 for a GH4 is a bit much. I've just completed a Hex and have been flying a Y6, both handle to GH4 on a 2-axis gimbal with ease. I'm using KDE 3510-475KV motors, 35A KDE ESC's, 15" folding props. With one 6000MaH 6S battery and my Sony NEX5n I have an AUW of approximately 12 pounds and it hovers about 43%, about 50% with a second battery and the GH4 with the 12mm Rokinon Cinema lens. I get about 8 minutes per battery.

Both frames are Jakub folding frames, the Hex has 15: CF props with easy removable prop adapters that tighten as you fly. That combination of props and adapters vibrates more than the folding props, I suspect its the prop adapters are slightly out of balance or out of round but I haven't really looked into it yet. The Y6 is very quiet, which helps with real estate shoots [the primary use for this MR], more stable in windy conditions [not quite as efficient as the Hex], it really draws a crowd when I take it out to launch it but a lot of people are intimidated by it. I don't seem to get the same reaction with the Hex even though the Hex appears a bit larger.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• _D6A9953-Edit.jpg
    _D6A9953-Edit.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 112

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I love hex’s and Octo’s and X8’s and all of that, but one of the best bang for the buck rigs for the GH3/4 is the ZeroUAV HighOne.
Again, this is not the only choice, I also fly a Zen on a Hexacrafter hex for teh Gh3/4, but for transport and redundancy the HighOne is nice and the Z1400 gimbal is FLAWLESS.

Pumpkinguy

Why don't you look thru the build threads. There are many there that will meet your requirements and the builders have already done the leg work on component selection and have successfully test flown etc.

Racerx1962

I love hex’s and Octo’s and X8’s and all of that, but one of the best bang for the buck rigs for the GH3/4 is the ZeroUAV HighOne.
Again, this is not the only choice, I also fly a Zen on a Hexacrafter hex for teh Gh3/4, but for transport and redundancy the HighOne is nice and the Z1400 gimbal is FLAWLESS.
Steve, would a solidly built quad handle the Gh4? I saw your review of the High 1 but have heard negative reviews of Zeros service. I'm thinking of building my own.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Sleepy, I know you have had a good experience with the Zero kit but sadly that wasn't my experience. My Gemini flipped at 40ft. I am not yet convinced that Zero has the Gemini licked yet and I felt that the High 1 airframe was very heavy for what it is plus I am not a fan of quads much larger than Phantoms due to the lack of redundancy in the power train.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have the gh3 and gh4 which I fly on a DIY x8 w/ Avroto 3515 motors and Naza V2. It was originally a XAircraft but I was never able to get it to my liking as an X8. Gh4 and Gh3 w/ Centerpiece gimbal control on both my DIY gimbal and a DYS 5D gimbal are outstanding.

I'm also flying a quad with KDE 3520's which flies nice, but no redundancy (xAircraft was on this). I'm currently building a new hex and the XAircraft is going on that. I started with a y6 in which I don't like the frame so have decided today to bag it. Am looking at the new X6 Tarot frame if I want a folding frame, possibly a DJI s900, or maybe just building my own Hexframe without folding capability. I use the rectangular Aluminum arms now for my self builds to keep things level and square.

For the gh3 and gh4, I think anything in the hex/or octo range w/ 400kv motors or so will give you the flying time you want. My x8 is pretty stable in the wind and exudes confidence except for the back of the brain worrying about fly aways, of which I've never experienced.

I think the redundancy issue on the hex is an issue to be decided with your flight controller. If I were going to build 3 units, I'd probably start with the $1400 S900 and beef up the top/bottom plates a bit for strength. I'd use the centerpiece controller with many choices on the gimbal.

#2 unit would be an x8 w/ 400 kv motors. Same gimbal & controller.

#3 would be either a y6 or a quad with the best motors/ ESC's I could buy. Make that to carry gopro and gh2 rig... Maybe a gh3...

All would be in the 12-15 minute and up flight mode for easy flying / drifting...

Flight controllers would be harder decision. I have Naza V2, Xaircraft, and Pixhawk. They all work and have different strengths and weaknesses..... You can bundle the s900 w/ Wookong for $1800. Quick and easy to get going and get a gh4 in the air.

Racerx1962

I have the gh3 and gh4 which I fly on a DIY x8 w/ Avroto 3515 motors and Naza V2. It was originally a XAircraft but I was never able to get it to my liking as an X8. Gh4 and Gh3 w/ Centerpiece gimbal control on both my DIY gimbal and a DYS 5D gimbal are outstanding.

I'm also flying a quad with KDE 3520's which flies nice, but no redundancy (xAircraft was on this). I'm currently building a new hex and the XAircraft is going on that. I started with a y6 in which I don't like the frame so have decided today to bag it. Am looking at the new X6 Tarot frame if I want a folding frame, possibly a DJI s900, or maybe just building my own Hexframe without folding capability. I use the rectangular Aluminum arms now for my self builds to keep things level and square.

For the gh3 and gh4, I think anything in the hex/or octo range w/ 400kv motors or so will give you the flying time you want. My x8 is pretty stable in the wind and exudes confidence except for the back of the brain worrying about fly aways, of which I've never experienced.

I think the redundancy issue on the hex is an issue to be decided with your flight controller. If I were going to build 3 units, I'd probably start with the $1400 S900 and beef up the top/bottom plates a bit for strength. I'd use the centerpiece controller with many choices on the gimbal.

#2 unit would be an x8 w/ 400 kv motors. Same gimbal & controller.

#3 would be either a y6 or a quad with the best motors/ ESC's I could buy. Make that to carry gopro and gh2 rig... Maybe a gh3...

All would be in the 12-15 minute and up flight mode for easy flying / drifting...

Flight controllers would be harder decision. I have Naza V2, Xaircraft, and Pixhawk. They all work and have different strengths and weaknesses..... You can bundle the s900 w/ Wookong for $1800. Quick and easy to get going and get a gh4 in the air.

I'm thinking of cutting my own CF plates and using rectangular aluminum booms for an X8 or flat hex. Jfro, where do you source your aluminum booms?

jfro

Aerial Fun
I use the the long Vulcan UAV arms. Sold in lots of places in the states. Think they are around $16 -17 or so apiece. I then redrill the inside hole to run them a little farther into my main plates. I do 50% more spacing then the pre drilled holes for mounting to the main plate. I cut my own mounting plates for motors. I do something a little different there. I keep the full length of the arm running out to the very end of the mount. I then use 3 hex bolts through the arm. 2 towards the center and one at the end. I then drill out a larger hole than my shaft from my 3515 or 3520 motors as they fit through my mounts . Have to make the base plates larger than the motor for the 3rd (end) hex bolt to fit. I use pretty thick plates for the mounts. I have drilled out and have spacers for the part of the mounts that fit outside the arms, but have never used them as the mounts and arms are so rigid the way I've made them they are not needed. I also run the 3 motor wires to the opposite side of the hex bolts going through the arm from where they come out of the motor and inside the frame. This gives a smooth surface for the tension on the motor wires.

Racerx1962

I use the the long Vulcan UAV arms. Sold in lots of places in the states. Think they are around $16 -17 or so apiece. I then redrill the inside hole to run them a little farther into my main plates. I do 50% more spacing then the pre drilled holes for mounting to the main plate. I cut my own mounting plates for motors. I do something a little different there. I keep the full length of the arm running out to the very end of the mount. I then use 3 hex bolts through the arm. 2 towards the center and one at the end. I then drill out a larger hole than my shaft from my 3515 or 3520 motors as they fit through my mounts . Have to make the base plates larger than the motor for the 3rd (end) hex bolt to fit. I use pretty thick plates for the mounts. I have drilled out and have spacers for the part of the mounts that fit outside the arms, but have never used them as the mounts and arms are so rigid the way I've made them they are not needed. I also run the 3 motor wires to the opposite side of the hex bolts going through the arm from where they come out of the motor and inside the frame. This gives a smooth surface for the tension on the motor wires.
Sounds like a stout setup. Do you use the long or short Vulcan arms? Also would it be too much trouble to ask for pics or a link where you've posted previously?