GH4 Arial footage

Av8Chuck

I'm only going to be delivering 1080P for the foreseeable future, what's the workflow for shooting 4K and posting in 1080P?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I would think there are only 2 ways to do it. 1 you import into your editor as it is and export as hd. Or you conform your footage ahead of time before editing it. If I remember correctly it takes just as long to convert even though it is down sampling since there is a conversion occurring. It would probably be faster to do the later since that way your computer will only have to edit hd and not ultra hd. Not sure if something like mpeg streamclip does this or not. Im sure there are a handful of apps tat will handle the task. if nothing else you can always import into your NLE and export first. Then bring in the footage as HD and work with it.

Might be a good thing to incorporate the cost of a new 12 core mac pro in the final cost of your 4k suite! it's gonna take some serious crunch to work with 4k smoothly.

Last edited by a moderator:

sk8brd

Set your timeline to 4k then if you crop to reframe or stabilize the editor is using the full 4k image to do so then export at 1080p. if you start with a 1080p timeline then the editor will crop the 4k down to 1080p on import into timeline and then if you stabilize it will only be using the 1080p image as if you don't have the extra real-estate of 4k. in premiere this his how it works i have done test with go pro 2k footage exported at 1080p. When i compared a 1080p timeline stabilized image to a 2k stabilized image in a 1080p timeline those black bars around the image without cropping did not even show up on a 1080p timeline. with a straight 1080p timeline the bars showed. in premiere you can turn auto crop off so you see what how much the stabilizer is zooming in after the stabilizer does it's magic. my personal workflow is i setup two timelines one native of camera image and i use that timeline to stabilize if need be. then i copy the 4k stabilized material onto a 1080p timeline. Basically create 4k timeline with native image dimensions then export at 1080p or if your not stabalizing or reframing with a crop then you can create a 1080p timeline to start off with and edit then export to 1080p. only create 4k timeline if stablizing, reframing or wanting to export at a full 4k. no matter what the image starts off with 4k then exports to 1080p. it's a bit confusing to explain but simple once you do it. or you can conform beforehand to 1080p in mpeg stream clip as above poster mentioned. i personally create prores versions of native resolutions so my computer can handle it then it's export settings to alter resolution. some people export master at 4k then use compressor to convert to 1080p. i personally prefer to keep the generation losses to a minimal and export to 1080p straight from editor if thats final output instead of exporting to a master4k then converting that master export to 1080p.

Last edited by a moderator:

sk8brd

terrible with 4k even in prores. macbook-pro 16gig ram version before retina was released but still quad core i7. i have to play at 1/4 resolution to get smooth playback. if i didn't go to prores- no chance. i don't own any 4k cameras so not too bad of an issue at this point with 5d-series 1080p cams and go pros. with my 5d footage in prores not bad and manageable. i edited with red one footage in 4k prores and it was a snail. going to have get a beefy iMac if i go with gh4.

Quinton

terrible with 4k even in prores. macbook-pro 16gig ram version before retina was released but still quad core i7. i have to play at 1/4 resolution to get smooth playback. if i didn't go to prores- no chance. i don't own any 4k cameras so not too bad of an issue at this point with 5d-series 1080p cams and go pros. with my 5d footage in prores not bad and manageable. i edited with red one footage in 4k prores and it was a snail. going to have get a beefy iMac if i go with gh4.

This will be the BIGGEST shock for people who want to shoot 4K
Don't just consider the amount the camera will cost, consider how much the media will be and updating your PCs
PCWorld laptops (If you are in the UK) just wont be enough, you will need a minimum of 16GB Ram with at least 3GB graphics cards, and plenty of fast SSD to store it all on...and you will be happy to know that it will maybe last you a couple of years if you are lucky.
This all should be considered when pricing jobs.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
No iMac is gonna handle this as of yet. You're going to need a minimum of an 8 core machine, possibly the new 6 core mac pro will handle it with the dual GPU's if the software eventually utilizes them properly. All of this is new territory for the masses. Most systems running RED would use the Red rocket(rip-off) or some other insanely expensive GPU. My CUDA card does speed certain things up in premiere but it's no where enough for 4k. Nothing beats the raw computing power of multiple processors and lots of RAM. So yes, be prepared to either be very frustrated or spend a lot of dough on the proper machines.

llbr22

This is the same conversation we had when going from SD to HD. Heck, this is the same conversation we had going from betacam to NLE.

I'm old.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
With budgets being cut in real terms for doing anything where is the money going to come from to pay for it all?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
for what it's worth, you'll only need all of that stuff if YOU are the one doing the post production and a lot of people here are not providing anything more than carry and capture services. So the media will be required but that may be it. If anyone needs to process the 4K files then they'll probably be making enough with the projects to buy whatever is necessary.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
for what it's worth, you'll only need all of that stuff if YOU are the one doing the post production and a lot of people here are not providing anything more than carry and capture services. So the media will be required but that may be it. If anyone needs to process the 4K files then they'll probably be making enough with the projects to buy whatever is necessary.

Wanna know how to make a million bucks in the AV business?

START with 5 MILLION!
:D

I’m here all week. Don;t forget to tip your waitress!

sk8brd

while a Mac Pro or windows monster pc would be great i know people getting by w/ iMacs working with lots of ram some even using retina's macbook pro's. there not doing complex 3d after effects work just grading and cutting and using preview files then relinking and waiting a long time 2 export..lol. people don't know the added cost and frustration of working w/4k its a headache unless you have the resources to buy big computers w/drives. i personally would rather use resources for more rc stuff but the gh4 may get in the way.

JCcreative

I'm super excited to get a gh4 up in the air.
As far as editing the 4k files go, its pretty easy to create proxy files now in Final Cut and in Premiere. And as far as premiere, as long as you have a fairly decent computer, you can set the playback resolution to 1/4 and be editing just like its 1080P footage.
When we're editing red footage thats being sent out to tv networks, we just edit it in a 1080P timeline to begin with. Just refit the 4k footage to size, and its super easy to work with. Then you can mess around with cropping in on a shot and not losing any quality.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
According to the interview with Zacuto ,done very recently, the Panasonic rep said he could edit 4k on his core2duo. I think 4k coming out of a RED or BMPC is a lot different. the bitrate is only 100Mb/s so its nothing near the rates coming out of some of the real pro cameras. And thats not a bad thing.

http://www.zacuto.com/panasonic-lumix-gh4

kloner

Aerial DP
i push it around in an i7 mbp like it's gh3 footy... the 4k mp4 i made uploaded to youtube easily