Getting props in shot using a gimbal?

maximus852

Whenever I go forward using my tarot gimbal on my DJI Phantom I always seem to get the props in shot... This is rather annoying as it makes that part of the video useless, therefore I can't currently achieve any forward moving shots! Anyone got any ideas on a way to stop this? Thanks :)

maxwelltub

dont fly forward? I dont fly a phantom so I dont know how much you can mod it, but I would guess you could try lowering your gimbal. Assuming you are using a gorpo choose a more narrow FOV in the camera settings. The other thing is to just tame your flight characteristics.

DennyR

Here is my solutionView attachment 15026
Note that there must be at least 55mm between the roll motor and the mag. the lens is changed to 60 deg. from 127 deg. and it is good to shoot 2.7K (P) Not only does the lowering of the camera remove the props from view it also stops the glare from the red nav. lights at night. Slightly heavier it reduces duration but it's a dramatic improvement to have three axis stab. (Alexmos) the additional weight has improved the flight stab. in higher wind and it can now carry two 2.800 MaxAmps or one without a cg change.

Significantly better than the standard Phantom in every way, but In the future, Li Ion battery and more advanced camera and gimbal.

The tall high aspect ratio of the model is about the only way to totally remove blade flicker at certain sun angles.
Not shown here is the new lens hood which is essential with these lens types which do not have special coatings.

Attachments

• Phantom mods-1.jpg
    Phantom mods-1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 365
Last edited by a moderator:

maximus852

Wow thanks guys! Jesus DennyR, thats awesome... i'll have a good go at what you've done there thanks! :) May I also ask... what props are they? they look badass!

Fly a bit higher and adjust the tilt down some. Also you can fly in atti mode and build up some momentum then level out the heli and coast into the shot you are wanting. Ive never had an issue with props getting into the shot unless making an aggressive forward movement.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
Make a battery/gimbal tray below the craft so you can move the gimbal forward and place battery further back is needed