Gaui Gaui 500X FPV flight to 2034 feet

hjls3

Rcpilot - so this kind of flight makes me a bit nervous. I commend you on your setup and your video was stunning, now that said - what safety measures did you take before you went to that altitude?

I certainly dont want to start an argument or anything remotely close. I have my private pilots ticket and I fly quite a bit for fun. When I watched your video I had chills thinking about a multi-rotor climbing right into the prop of my Cub. A few months ago there was an article in the paper about a private jet on approach in Denver and seeing a "drone" like something pass him. Scary. Add to that - someone yesterday was ticketed for flying around Alcatraz Island and allegedly flying close to birds and people. After watching a video of his - I again got real nervous. IMHO it is best for us to stay under the radar - no pun intended. Actually pun intended. We dont want the FAA learning about our hobby after an accident. I dont think anyone would like the rules they would put in place, post accident.

Please - just think about how much you love flying your multi rotor and what the FAA might do if there were an accident 2000 feet up. Not to mention the terrible accident that could possibly happen when a plane hits a MR over a populated area such as the one you flew at.

Just something to think about :)

rcpilot23

Rcpilot - so this kind of flight makes me a bit nervous. I commend you on your setup and your video was stunning, now that said - what safety measures did you take before you went to that altitude?

I certainly dont want to start an argument or anything remotely close. I have my private pilots ticket and I fly quite a bit for fun. When I watched your video I had chills thinking about a multi-rotor climbing right into the prop of my Cub. A few months ago there was an article in the paper about a private jet on approach in Denver and seeing a "drone" like something pass him. Scary. Add to that - someone yesterday was ticketed for flying around Alcatraz Island and allegedly flying close to birds and people. After watching a video of his - I again got real nervous. IMHO it is best for us to stay under the radar - no pun intended. Actually pun intended. We dont want the FAA learning about our hobby after an accident. I dont think anyone would like the rules they would put in place, post accident.

Please - just think about how much you love flying your multi rotor and what the FAA might do if there were an accident 2000 feet up. Not to mention the terrible accident that could possibly happen when a plane hits a MR over a populated area such as the one you flew at.

Just something to think about :)

Yes I totally agree I have been flying to the max 400 feet or 121 (for australia) meters since that video

it was purely a check on the video range of my FPV gear and I made sure that day aircraft were not flying that route.

I am having more fun flying FPV only without the GPS hold or RTH and flying at 100 meters

At my actual flying field I am lucky as it is isolated from people and there is plenty of open bush to explore

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Fox ch.2 news had a clip on that guy tonight. I bet you could find it online at ktvu.com if interested. The pilot admitted flying over birds.

nscheffer

Hi,

Where did you put the transmitter on your Gaui 500x ?
Vertical or horizontal position ?
Antenna direction to the front or the back ?

I am currently trying to find the best place on a standard Gaui 500x to have the best range with an ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz 600mW.
You can have a look to pictures on my blog regarding the different test I have done (sorry French blog) :
http://drone.airboum.net/

Regards

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD