Galaxy 3X - Heavy Lift Octo

Skysurf

After having built numerous quads and hexas, I decided to design a new octo with a 3-axis gimbal that would be able to lift heavier cameras like the RED Epic or Scarlet. We have now flown it with payloads of up to 4kg getting flight times of about 7 minutes. With 4kg payload, the AUW is 11kg.

So far we have been flying it mainly with the much lighter Sony Nex-FS100, with an AUW of 8,5kg and flight times of just over 8 minutes. The gimbal is stabilized with the Picloc 3X, however in the video below the pan axis has been turned off since I was the sole operator (no cameraman).

/Jesper

View attachment 3925

Attachments

• Galaxy.jpg
    Galaxy.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 591
Last edited by a moderator:

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Stunning footage. The quality of the video is excellent. Did you do any post processing stabilization? I can get my footage that smooth with post processing but it loses that crisp feel. Your footage is very crisp.

Skysurf

Thanks guys!

Here is another clip from this weekend:

/Jesper

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
After having built numerous quads and hexas, I decided to design a new octo with a 3-axis gimbal...

Sweet machine! A few essentials missing in the photo but nonetheless a neat, uncluttered design with good serviceability.

Well done.