Futaba + Naza + all mode failsafe setup.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
In the past I have been asked about all mode Failsafe setup on the Futaba T8J and probably many other Futaba or even other brand radios. If you have not been able to do it I will explain how, will even upload some pictures so you can see what I am doing.

Not knowing how you have your failsafe is setup now, I am just going to show you my settings and how to get the same results.

**** Copy your model first, just in-case this does not work for you or you do something wrong ****

IMG_0004_zpsb852dd31.jpg

Go into your P.MIX 1-6 and select Mix 5 as shown above, enter into the mix and make the following changes (Did you backup your old model first?).

Ok, on the first page you want to set
P5> + 50%
P4> 0%
P3> + 46%
P2> 0%
P1> -55%

These numbers are within the ballpark on my setup, you may need to adjust them slightly if they are not hitting true on the failsafe, of which you will begin to see shortly.
IMG_0005_zps491d9221.jpg

You should see a curve like the above on your radio now.

On page 2 you will need to set the following...

Mix> Off <--- This will make sure when you select the switch lower down and the switch is in the up position it will be off, this will be the same switch you use for your failsafe, in my case "SwD".
MAST > AU1 <--- This is the switch YOU use for your Man/Atti/GPS.
SLAV > AU1 <--- Again, the same switch YOU use for your Man/Atti/GPS

SW > SwD <--- Is the switch selection for your Failsafe Switch, mine is "D" but yours may or may not be the same.
POSI > DOWN <--- This is the position of the switch to activate failsafe.

IMG_0006_zpsf483fa2c.jpg

That is about it, if your failsafe was working before but only on one position, this will take care of it via a mix.

**** Test every aspect of your controls before flight, make sure this new mix is NOT interfering with anything else. I take no responsibility for loss or damage to your equipment, this is here as a guide to help you set up your failsafe and that is all. ****

I hope this is of some use to you guys, mixes can be used to achieve a lot of different functions if you find you're out of switches and so forth. Experiment with them, but please copy a model or make a new one first.

Hi, this info is helpful, and matches a YouTube video that describes the configuration.
After setting it up, I noticed one thing of concern....

While monitoring the NAZA-M-lite via the Assistant, regardless of the mode, the assistant displays the mode, but occasionally flicks to indicate "FailSafe" mode for a split second, then back. could this be an endpoint calibration problem?
Setting Failsafe mode solidly indicates Failsafe in the Assistant.

On a brief test flight, the unit seemed a little more jittery than usual in hover, I might disable the failsafe mode and retest.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Yeah, I have seen the same video quite a while back.... Yes, just move your end points to make it stay in the failsafe area, you don't want that flicking in and out.

in failsafe mode, yes, the indicator is solidly in failsafe. In manual, atti or GPS mode, the indicator flicks to failsafe occasionally. Recalibrating AU1 endpoints, and even inhibiting failsafe mode and the mix did not stop the flickers.

However, bench running the unit it was stable, no odd pulses from the motors, and LED indications normal. The only other thing that I've seen suggested to change from S-bus to individual servo cables. Haven't tried that yet...

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
S-Bus should be ok, I am using PPM which is basically the same. Make adjustments to your mixes if the end points are not helping, my numbers put me in the middle but I have seen others that are a few numbers higher or lower.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
If it is any help, when I set up my radio, I keep it plugged into the naza and watch the modes as I adjust. The way works for me and I am sure you're doing the same, just flick the switch and adjust as needed.