Futaba 12FG and Naza failsafe

manoktot

Hi folks, I wanted to ask if anybody has experience setting up failsafe on the naza w/gps using a 12FG. I may possibly be wrong, but it appears that I can only setup the throttle channel to failsafe (instead of gear?). Please help kindly if anyone has had the same experience.

I am using the 12fg on a 617fs receiver.

Kind regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pozzix

I don't know about Futaba (I'm using Spektrum DX6i) but you have to bind receiver in "preset failsafe" mode with Tx configured with TH >10% of its course and gear switch (or what ever you want) in failsafe mode.
I did this with my DX6i (6 channels) and AR8000 receiver (8 channels). I try in Assistant Sw and it works.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
If you come up with the answer, let me know...I've also been wondering how to do this on Futaba radios. I've never binded a radio before either so this should be some good info.

Pozzix

Suppose you have to read futaba manual for this case, however:

In Spektrum systems there are two methods to bind tx with rx:

1) Smart Failsafe: (put tx with all controls neutral and th to 0 position. In case of signal loss, model remain with last command and with TH to 0)
a) put the bind plug in bind socket on rx
b) power Rx: rx led flashing
c) power on tx, holding bind switch (tx shows "bind" on display and "beeping")
d) wait for binding process to be completed.....
e) led on rx should be solid; tx no more beeping and you can release bind switch
f) remove bind plug on rx

2) Preset Failsafe (only on certain rx 7 channels and more. You can set any position at controls and switch in case rx loose signal. This is what I use for Naza, at least on DX6i TX)

a) put the bind plug in bind socket on rx
b) power Rx: rx led flashing
c) remove bind plug on rx; rx binding led continues to flash)
d) put any control and/or switch on tx how you want to will be, when rx looses signal
c) power on tx, holding bind switch (tx shows "bind" on display and "beeping")
d) wait for binding process to be completed.....
e) led on rx should be solid; tx no more beeping and you can release bind switch

You can check on assistant sw, what happens, when you switch off radio.

manoktot

Thank you pozzix for the suggestions, unfortunately I'm not sure if those will work with futaba as it doesn't use a bind plug. I can definitely try though.

Helloman- is your 617fs operating on FASST 7ch or FAAST Multi? I went in to the radio menu and saw that if it's using FASST 7ch, only the throttle channel will have an option for failsafe, all the other channels cannot be selected.

But if you use FAAST Multi, all channels can now be selected for failsafe.

I still have to check if I can get the 617fs to bind to my 12fg using FAAST Multi, I was getting a red light on the rx meaning it wasn't bound properly. Can you try too and let me know?

drdrums

Looks like there are two different failsafes being discussed here. One is set between the radio and RX, the other in the Naza by way of software and aux channel gain.

The RX failsafe, in a Futaba setup (and unlike Spektrum which sets failsafe during bind) is controlled by the failsafe menu screen on the transmitter (at least that's how its handled on my 8FG). You can choose whether channels go to a predetermined set point of your choosing (e.g. throttle to zero) or hold the last position commanded. IIRC you can set these options on a per-channel basis. This failsafe kicks in when the RX loses signal.

The second failsafe you set using the Naza config software, and it works both when the RX loses signal or at the command of your flight mode switch, provided you set up the TX and RX right. When engaged, the Naza will either land or RTH if you have a GPS. To do this, make sure that the channel you use for mode selection is set up to output a gain that the Naza sees as failsafe (you can confirm this by watching the software and switching off your TX) when the RX loses signal (and you'd set that as I described in the previous paragraph - the failsafe menu screen on your Tx).

Good luck!

manoktot

Looks like there are two different failsafes being discussed here. One is set between the radio and RX, the other in the Naza by way of software and aux channel gain.

The RX failsafe, in a Futaba setup (and unlike Spektrum which sets failsafe during bind) is controlled by the failsafe menu screen on the transmitter (at least that's how its handled on my 8FG). You can choose whether channels go to a predetermined set point of your choosing (e.g. throttle to zero) or hold the last position commanded. IIRC you can set these options on a per-channel basis. This failsafe kicks in when the RX loses signal.

The second failsafe you set using the Naza config software, and it works both when the RX loses signal or at the command of your flight mode switch, provided you set up the TX and RX right. When engaged, the Naza will either land or RTH if you have a GPS. To do this, make sure that the channel you use for mode selection is set up to output a gain that the Naza sees as failsafe (you can confirm this by watching the software and switching off your TX) when the RX loses signal (and you'd set that as I described in the previous paragraph - the failsafe menu screen on your Tx).

Good luck!

you are correct drdrums...i am hoping muunk can provide some help.

Muunk

Hi, sorry my late answer.

The 12FG is an pretty advance TX so you can do allmost anything with this thing.

What I did to solve the problem with the "only one channel failsafe on the R617 reciever", was to simply switch the gyro channel 4 and the throttle channel 3, so its now gyro on channel 3 and throttle at channel 4.
Then I´ve set the gyro switch at SE button, where I now change between Atti, GPS and Man mode. And here by also set the failsafe in the 12FG menu.
What you can do further, is to do some mixing in the 12FG, and make a RTH switch, without taking a free channel. Its complicated to explain how to, but if you know your 12FG, you´ll get it easy.

manoktot

Hi Muunk,

Do you mind clarifying what you meant by switching around channels 3 and 4? Did you mean switch the ch 3 and ch 4 cables from the naza going to the rx?

Or switch them around only in the 12fg? (Function)

Sorry for the questions and hoping you could help. Thanks in advance

I ran in to this same issue when I switched out my 8 channel R6208 for the older R617FS 7 channel..... On page 64 of the Futaba 8FG Super manual, there is a statement...
FASST 7CH CH3 only.....

This seems to suggest some loss of functionality such that a work around is required. Swapping channel 3 for channel 4 doesn't make any sense to me.
What I am able to get so far is manual mode, attitude mode but no GPS mode showing up in Naza Assistant. While forced fail safe works, I cannot achieve failsafe when I turn off the transmitter. These behaviours have been confirmed in both Naza Assistant and with the MR led lights with one exception. It seems I can achieve GPS mode to the mR as per LED lights but this does not appear when I use NAZA assistant.

Hope someone can find a work around. I can't think my way thru this one except to buy another 8 channel FASST receiver with fail safe capability on all channels.